Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 31-01-2005 , 08:20 PM

Emit upon death

Hello all, I'm wondering how to make particles emit other particles when they die? Just can't figure it out, would be very appreciated for any help..

Thanks!

# 2 31-01-2005 , 11:09 PM
Subscriber
If you can, try to check out the rain tutorial. I think it has something in it that emits particles when the rain hits the ground. But that might just be a particle collision event. Oh well, someone really smart and knows alot will help more than me.

# 3 01-02-2005 , 09:15 AM
Thanks, don't think I can download stuff here yet. Tried earlier when I was trying to get my poor wittle brain around something else. : /

Cheers anyway! : )

# 4 01-02-2005 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber
Thats too bad. I dont know why no one else is replying, they usually are pretty fast with giving out help. Hmmmmmm

# 5 03-02-2005 , 06:55 AM
Subscriber
I'm still learning dynamics, but I don't think it can be done. I think alienscience is correct that it would have to be a collision event.

From Maya's help:
You can also make particles split, emit new particles, die, or run a MEL script when they collide with geometry.

Either that or maybe it could be with MEL... but I haven't even dipped my toe in that yet.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 6 03-02-2005 , 09:22 AM
if(particleShape1.age >= particleShape1.finalLifespanPP)
{
print("dead particle\n");
//do something here
}

Enter that as a runtime expression on the particleShape and that should do it. You can then use that even as a time to spawn more particles or get the world position of the dead one and spawn from there or whatever.

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 03-02-2005 , 12:40 PM
Thanks, pardon my very limited knowledge of particles here but what's the command to emit (where the particle die in my case)?

Can't find anything about that anywhere..