Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-04-2005 , 09:52 PM
Subscriber

Next logical step?

I have been messing around informally with Maya for about 8 months, spending most of the time modeling and doing alittle bit of texturing. I'm very happy working with poly's and nurbs are coming along nicley too, with my workflow with both being failry quick.

Even tho it takes me ages I've managed to get my head around UV mapping, and I know how to create lights in a scene, but not really create any strong atmosphere.

Anyway, I was wondering what people thought the next logical step would be on the Maya learning curve would be?

More of the same? Animating? Learning the finer points of lighting? Rendering? Rigging? Better texturing?

It would be great to hear what people think. I have an interview coming up for a MSc in CG, with a strong lean towards Maya. I have about a week or so to prepare, as they want to see some of my stuff. But at the moment it just seems like endless screenshots of grey-ish models.

What would be the one thing I could work on to show improvment, and the biggest positive change in my work? I dont have to be a master in a week, but alittle spark in the mix would give them an idea of what I am capable of.

Cheers for any help user added image
Azi

# 2 21-04-2005 , 02:17 AM
i been only into maya for about a month, but i tried to learn as much as possible. I think what your next thing to learn would depend on what you want to do.

i think choices follow in stepsL:

1) Rigging : Texturing
2) Animating : Rendering (or lighting)
3) Dynamics : Lighting (or rendering)
4) Mel Scripts (i dont think you REALLY need this though)

i'd personally go...

modeling -> texturing -> rigging -> animating -> rendering -> lighting -> dynamics

but again... it probably depends on what you wish to achieve your career and what you like the most..... like.. a texture artist, should definately be good at UV unwrapping, modeing, lighting (eventhough u might not do them as a job)..but you wouldn't really need dynamics or animation.

but knowing them would be a "plus" always.

i'm a maya noob =( so im wishing to see more post on this.