Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-05-2008 , 09:40 AM

Creating win in Maya

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a school project, creating an interactive statue that draws energy from the win, using a technology called Piezo Electrics, and turns it into light. We need to build it, but before we do that, we would like to have a 3D model of it actually working.

I have very limited experience working with dynamics, i know about rigid bodies but not much more. I have come to understand that you can create win using fields but i cant find any proper tutorials on how to make it affect polygonal objects. The help files in Maya is a bit confusing, and are mostly about how to affect particles.

I need some advice on how to get started or maybe a link to a tutorial.

# 2 13-05-2008 , 10:25 AM
Senior Software Developer
OK,

What you want to do is really quite simple.

I will create a small demo video on the steps on how to do it.

Watch his space.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 13-05-2008 , 11:33 AM
Thanks mate ! user added image

Looking forward to it.

# 4 13-05-2008 , 02:25 PM
Hello maoamuser added image

Welcome to Sm.

Just out of curiosity, you said your machine is driven by wind, correct?

Are you are trying to achieve a basic windmill-type of animation or?

I ask because after doing some quick research on Piezo Electronics, it looks like it works more on vibration or impact rather than a brushless-motor-type of generator?

Do you have a picture you could show us of your model, and what you would like it to do, as I really don't think a full-on dynamic simulation is needed here if all you wish to do is to see it movinguser added image

...plus, it will render much faster without all of the calulatory overheaduser added image

Thanks!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 13-05-2008 , 03:14 PM
The idea is to translate the 3 dimensional movement of the wind into a 2 dimensional surface. We want the piezoelectric technology on one side of the surface to generate power for some LED's on the other side. This way you should be able to watch how the wind flows over the surface with light from the LED's.

The thing is, we haven't made a final decision on what kind of shape we want or if we want to use fabric or some other kind of material to catch the wind.

The wind should Sure thing, but the model is not quite finished yet, i haven't made the flaps that are supposed to interact with the wind yet.

If anyone wanna know what Piezoelectric Wind Harnessing Technology is,
here is a link :
https://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo...kson:Wind_Tree

# 6 13-05-2008 , 03:19 PM
ups !!

Wasn't finish writing, apparently CTRL-S is short cut for submit reply.

I'll just take it one more time.

The idea is to translate the 3 dimensional movement of the wind into a 2 dimensional surface. We want the piezoelectric technology on one side of the surface to generate power for some LED's on the other side. This way you should be able to watch how the wind flows over the surface with light from the LED's.

The thing is, we haven't made a final decision on what kind of shape we want or if we want to use fabric or some other kind of material to catch the wind.

If anyone wanna know what Piezoelectric Wind Harnessing Technology is,
here is a link :
https://peswiki.com/index.php/Direct...ckson:Wind_Tree

The picture shows some work in progress on the model placed in front of city hall in Kolding (Denmark) .

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 13-05-2008 , 03:55 PM

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 8 13-05-2008 , 06:31 PM
yes, you nailed it ! user added image

# 9 13-05-2008 , 06:58 PM
Great, so you have decided on a cloth material then?

I ask because in your previous post, you said you were undecided on thatuser added image

Anyhoo, looks like R@nSiD nailed it for ya and nCloth is your best bet to simulate what you're looking foruser added image

Good timing for you too, because in our next newsletter David is going to announce the availability of my series of nCloth video tutorials, so watch out for thoseuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 10 14-05-2008 , 04:40 AM
sounds great ! user added image

yes we decided to for fabric instead of flaps, but just out of curiosity, is it possible to make dynamic fields affect polygonal and other kinds of objects in Maya ?

# 11 14-05-2008 , 12:39 PM
Yes fields will effect polygon, nurbs or sub-d surfaces if they are set to active rigid bodies...

If you use Maya 2008 I have attached a copy of the mb file for you to play about with. You will notice that with nCloth you do not need to add a field to simulate wind as it has its own properties to simulate the wind and gravity.

Attached Files
File Type: mb windturbine.mb (92.3 KB, 234 views)

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 12 14-05-2008 , 05:38 PM
Im glad your happy with the simulation, as it was done in Maya 2008 with nCloth I decided to create a similar one with Maya Cloth (classic version), which is used in Maya 7 and below.

Here is the link to the simulation on You Tube and a copy of the mb file used to create the simulation.

Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuWZZqor-sI

Attached Files
File Type: mb windturbine_clothorig.mb (133.8 KB, 243 views)

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 13 18-05-2008 , 04:12 PM
This looks great, exactly the kind of effect i was looking for !

Thanks again ! user added image

i think maybe the cloth blew away in the windturbine_clothorig.mb file, nothing seem to happen when i press play user added image

Attached Thumbnails