Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 26-08-2009 , 06:34 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by hammer.horror
looks like quite a high subdivision level, do you have a wireframe?
looks like there is a bit too much geometry to be going into zbrush for sculpting practice! you may have shot yourself in the foot a bit user added image

Hmm?

I don't think so. The topology of the head isn't that dense, and I'm sure he's using the smooth mesh preview, so he can see how the mesh reacts when smoothed.

And I'm sure you know that ZBrush sculpts are extremely high polygon levels.... in the millions. So I don't think the polycount will be a problem, and as it isn't really that high poly at the mo, he can still animate it if he wants to.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 17 26-08-2009 , 09:17 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Mayaniac
I don't think so. The topology of the head isn't that dense, and I'm sure he's using the smooth mesh preview, so he can see how the mesh reacts when smoothed.

i have to agree, and it's pretty obvious he's using smooth preview based on the wireframe in the wireframe picture from before..

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 18 26-08-2009 , 09:43 PM
Steve and Chirone,
you are both right on all points, the mesh is pretty low poly, and am using the smooth preview for now til the body is done and heading into ZB, I've already taken a smoothed version into ZB to test it out and it's reacting really nicely, all the loops are in the right places (just about, a couple need tweaking) making it feel really nice to sculpt on!

Will post a smoothed wireframe at some point in a while.

# 19 26-08-2009 , 09:52 PM
The Nurb Herd
sorry, yeah i did notice the smooth mesh preview. I just wanted to see the the wireframe, because under the pecs looks like quite a hard edge, and also on the neck there are relatively hard edges.
If you are subdividing in zbrush, wont these hard edges cause pinching as you subdivide up the levels, and if so wouldn't this make it harder to sculpt in these areas.... just curious about the wireframe is all user added image

what i mean is, he is adding more detail than is perhaps necessary for sculpting practice. By the time it gets to zbrush there will be nothing to sculpt!

# 20 26-08-2009 , 10:12 PM
This guy is going to have so much detail on him it'll probably need a fair bit of geometry to hold the displacement map (if I do decide to use that and not a normal map) so not really worried there, and it won't be too much that animation will be out of the question anyway.

Here's a smooth preview wire of him, can't be bothered to show the unsmoothed as it won't ever be used at that level anyway so it would be pointless.

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 27-08-2009 , 08:17 PM
Got the main body done this evening, going to try and get the arms and legs done tonight and hopefully get onto some ZB action tomorrow!

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 28-08-2009 , 12:25 AM
Yeah, that's shaping up nicely. I think with most insects and arachnids alike, the legs actually attach under the abdomen. Where as this appears more like something you would see with a crustacean. Like a crab. But as this is a custom critter, I doubt it's going to matter. Also, the back section of these sorts of insects/arachnids is usually a lot bigger, usually even bigger than the front section. Though, again, I guess this is up to you.

Nice work.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 23 28-08-2009 , 12:33 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
# 24 28-08-2009 , 12:37 AM
Thanks Steve!

I actually tried it with the backend a lot larger, and in two pieces, with the legs in-between the two sections, but it just didn't look right, so decided to go with the one section smaller version. But I do think the backend does still need to be scaled up a bit so will do that before going any further.

Yeah, I was looking a bunch of images of insects, and other small creatures, and thought of doing the legs coming from underneath, but just went with this way so there would be more room on the under side to fit something else detail wise that I had in mind. Hopefully that'll work out the way I've planned! lol!

Sorry Steve, you'll just have to sulk for a little bit longer, I want to make sure everything is just right before any sculpting starts....haha. Shouldn't be too much longer!

And cheers Mastone,

Glad you are liking him! He creeps me out a bit whilst working on him!

More to come soon.....

Last edited by Dango77; 28-08-2009 at 12:40 AM.
# 25 29-08-2009 , 12:02 PM
thats freaky, i have one crit/question i see that the body has sufficient detail but the head looks very simple, is that a design purpose or are you gonna add some extra detail to the head?

# 26 29-08-2009 , 08:57 PM
Yeah Young's got a point, dont overdo the definition (different from detail) on the lower parts, if your going into Z, the sculpt will change the base which may which may alter the original.

I know your after animation but I would get a sound mesh in there, no real details, but good base topology, then once in Z go from ther using the levles, keeping the base intact, getting your bang for your buck so to speak and no wasted work.

Hell though mate, your getting the workflow so go for what you want to!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 27 01-09-2009 , 12:19 PM
Thanks Younglion, yeah, I'd left the head detail on purpose, so I'd have the option of adding more once I'd decided what to do, have added some small horns for now but may change them again, not sure yet.

Thanks Steve,

Will keep an eye on how much detail I do, could end up looking at it and realising I've done all the sculpting in Maya! LOL!

Have just been getting back to it after having a Maya free weekend, got the back legs shaped in, just got to finish the arms and possibly add a tail...

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 01-09-2009 , 06:36 PM
Nearly done with the body now, just deciding whether to add a tail or not, then finally I can get it into ZB!

Here's a quick Occlusion render of him so far.

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 01-09-2009 , 06:41 PM
Looks good, now you can get it into ZB and really perfect those forms.

As for the tail, I don't know if it will work or not... I'm leaning towards not, but you can always build one, and see what it looks like, and if it doesn't work, just get rid.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 30 01-09-2009 , 06:48 PM
Cheers Steve,

Yeah, I think I'll give the tail a go, if it doesn't look good I'll give it a miss. Am looking forward to some ZB action now!

Here's the wires of him, hopefully the next update will be a sculpting one!

Attached Thumbnails