Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 12-08-2016 , 04:04 PM

Newbie needs help, please!

First of all, I'm really new to maya, so my question might be dumb, but I've been searching the internet for hours now to solve a (seemingly simple) issue, hope you can help me before I go crazy user added image

I'm trying to build a city scene from some downloaded building templates with multiple texture files that are parts of the building (e.g. windows, doors, brick wall, etc), but when I apply the texture (from file) it's a complete mess. What am I doing wrong, can someone help me? Attached is a picture, please don't laughuser added image Many thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-08-2016 , 10:47 PM
Technical Director
Most likely the model has been combined into a single object, therefore when you assign a material, it assigns to every piece, while it was designed to have multiple materials assigned. So you would need to separate the model, then assign the materials separately. That, or the UVs have been corrupted some how.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 15-08-2016 , 10:54 AM
Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer! You were right, it's the first one, the whole building is one single object. Assigning the materials component by component now, looks much better.. user added image

# 4 07-10-2016 , 06:43 PM
...I just want to add that maya and 3d in general can be difficult with a steep curve and alot of things you cant figure out on your own. Dont be afraid to ever ask a question, no matter how noobish you may think it is. EVERYONE has started from the beginning. So dont worry about what you think others may think. just get deep into learning and have no fears . user added image