Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 07-03-2005 , 10:18 AM

Round edges on a polyplane mesh

Hi folks!

I've run into a snag when modelling a polyplane mesh. Here's how the model looks like:

user added image

user added image

user added image

As you can see, the cube is made up of polyplanes of different colors. I choose this way of modelling since I'm doing a Maya Vector render for Flash. Now I am trying to find a way to get more round edges, but I just can't seem to find a good way of doing it.

I've tried Combine and then Smooth, but each former polyplane in the mesh is still treated as an individual plane and get smoothed this way:

user added image

That happens even if I choose Delete by type > History. I of course figured that it wouldn't be that easy making the the corners of the cube smoother, but I had to try. user added image

So, any suggestions?

//frippz
# 2 09-03-2005 , 08:03 AM
Subscriber
maybe you have double verts at the shared corners between your planes? if so try merging them after combining the seperate parts. should work i think.

# 3 09-03-2005 , 08:14 AM
Subscriber
Combine doesn't actually fuse the geometry together. Think of it more as permanent group that is recognized a single piece of geometry. You will either need to merge vertice or edges in order to make a single shell. Which kind of defeats what you're trying to do doesn't it?

Try beveling the edges of a regular cube or creating a subdiv cube and coverting it to polys.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 10-03-2005 , 12:51 AM
ya i reckon extrude all faces of a cube (scale it inwards and extrude again into the cube), then delete the original faces on the side then just merge vertices!

user added image

# 5 13-03-2005 , 07:39 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I think you will need to also make sure that your poly planes are all 4 sided too because if you added points the way it is now and merged them they are all gonna be 6 sided polys and thats not really ideal.

_J

# 6 22-03-2005 , 01:05 PM
Thank you for all your replies. Seems that in the end, we decided to use the models as they are since the rounded corners wouldn't show. user added image

//frippz
# 7 22-03-2005 , 02:35 PM
Subscriber
What are the models exactly?? Not many things in reality have sharp edges, even if they look like they do. Beveling the edges, even slightly, will give you the subtle highlights that real objects have. You could just add a small bevel to each edge of your cube.

Just a suggestion user added image

LisaG

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/