Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 15-05-2007 , 03:59 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Zbrush 3

Hey Guys

I'll be upgrading later on today to Z3 (I have my download instructions at last!!) so I'll keep you posted on it and how good it is. If anyone else gets it too be sure to post your thoughts for other potential users

Cheers
Jay

# 2 15-05-2007 , 06:29 AM
Subscriber
So is it finally 64-bit supported? I've kinda been restricted on using Z just because I didnt want to dual boot and I only had x64 with 4GB.

www.papalati.com
# 3 15-05-2007 , 09:01 AM
Subscriber
dang thats i nice computer in contrass to mine!

i just upgreated to 1GB in ram

and my computer is 4 1\2 stinkin years old i should be getting a sweet new one at teh end of the year.

ZBrush looks cool i should get the money and buy it some time...

lol money doesnt come around that easy for a 16year old user added image

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 4 15-05-2007 , 09:33 AM
Yup it supports 64 and 32 bit

_J

# 5 15-05-2007 , 10:02 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by starjsjswars

lol money doesnt come around that easy for a 16year old user added image [/B]

haha, I know what you mean, I'm almost 24 with a full time job and money still doesn't come easy

I've never used ZBrush, wish I could get it, but then again I don't really fully understand it or maya yet so maybe it's just best I don't worry about it.

# 6 15-05-2007 , 11:12 AM
Jr.Who
Anyone know when this is hitting the Mac, for those of us that still have a PPC? user added image

# 7 15-05-2007 , 12:40 PM
theres a notice up on the pixologic site regarding the mac version.

I think you have to contact them to find out what the deal is...

Cheers
Jay

# 8 15-05-2007 , 01:50 PM
Well what can I say?

Absolutely stunning so far I just divided a model up to 2,700,000 polys and it just flew in the sculpt. Im not kidding here either.

Im only running a gig and a half of ram with 128 on the card, its a vast improvement over version 2 which was bloody good but tended to stall in the hi poly counts like this.

The shaders are better, and if Im not mistaken the models look alot sharper (hd) and the real time shadows are freakin great. theres been some serious thought gone into this and I think this will change the industry again! The rewrite has done it the world of good, now its just a case of becoming accustomed with the new features and the reworking of the interface, which incidently has a new option button for rapid ui and the classic ui.

am going to have a good look over the weekend...watch this space...

Cheers
Jay

# 9 15-05-2007 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
Well what can I say?

Absolutely stunning so far I just divided a model up to 2,700,000 polys and it just flew in the sculpt. Im not kidding here either.

Im only running a gig and a half of ram with 128 on the card, its a vast improvement over version 2 which was bloody good but tended to stall in the hi poly counts like this.

The shaders are better, and if Im not mistaken the models look alot sharper (hd) and the real time shadows are freakin great. theres been some serious thought gone into this and I think this will change the industry again! The rewrite has done it the world of good, now its just a case of becoming accustomed with the new features and the reworking of the interface, which incidently has a new option button for rapid ui and the classic ui.

am going to have a good look over the weekend...watch this space...

Cheers
Jay

im watching user added image

tell me Jay, does the new Zapplink lets you paint flat on the model 's UV or is it still just a projection? [meaning flat like you would normally in PS, i know the old Zapplink just catures a projection of your current workspace and does not truelly lets you paint on the model in PS]

can you paint textures in layers?

can you export or bake materials
:blush:

# 10 15-05-2007 , 03:46 PM
Hey Vlad

I'll keep you posted, I know you can paint in 3d etc now and paint displacements without flattening to canvas and as for Zapplink, I never used the last one LOL.

As forthe other stuff I dont know yet...

Cheers dude
Jay

# 11 15-05-2007 , 03:49 PM
Vlad

Zapplink now lets you store views to paint along with character sheets of your model. New masking and a ton of other stuff

Jay

# 12 15-05-2007 , 04:34 PM
Subscriber
thanks Jay. thats good to hear.

post some stuff over the weekend user added image

# 13 15-05-2007 , 05:27 PM
Senior Software Developer
It would be nice to get a comparison on ZBrush 3 and Mudbox.

I have tried ZBrush and found the UI just too much to take in, I have had a play with Mudbox and already I am finding it easier.

Mudbox uses the same controls for Pan, Zoom and Rotate that Maya does, so already its easier. I think it would be nice to compare that two, so people can get an understanding of both apps and their pros and cons. Maybe this is something that can added to the new site. Software tests!!!

Comments?

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 14 15-05-2007 , 11:17 PM
The comparison would be the same, the controls on Z are pretty much the same as before, its just faster etc and the polycounts can go to a billion if your machine allows you too.

What you have to remember is that Mudbox is pure sculpting whereas Z is more, with its texture and modelling features

Cheers
Jay

# 15 16-05-2007 , 03:02 AM
Theres a little featuer on Z3 over at the CG sociaty thats worth a look.

Be looking forward to seeing some creations from you Jay!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle