Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 17-08-2011 , 07:29 PM

Stone Texture , How to create with Photoshop

Hi guy's

I'm Trying to find out how to make this kind of texture as image below. its very nice texture or maybe it's a shader.
I tried it already with Photoshop. but the filter / Add noise it doesn't gives a good result. the noise are very small and it adds only more noise instead make the noise bigger ( flake noise bigger)

Any Photoshop expert here ? How to make this texture? please just mess with Photoshop for few second before ur reply, I Tried many ways but I'm getting bit frustrated when I see simple things and I cant make it. its not marble and its not mosaic Texture, its River stones.

It's basically black background with white flakes.

any Photoshop tutorials or links?

Regards

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 17-08-2011 , 08:01 PM
The thin red line
In photoshop start with a dark colour filter texture grain grain type to stripple..........dave

# 3 17-08-2011 , 11:54 PM
Technical Director
You can use a procedural shader inside of Maya, but the best way would to just use a photo of a real rock, and use that as a base.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 18-08-2011 , 01:39 AM
@ Dave

I tried this way before, but doesn't looks real . the grain are too small and all of the them the same size.

But in Maya mental ray shader there is Car_paint_X which include some of the flake.
I'm trying to find out

@ New design
I do have camera, but I live is desert, No river. Hardly to find a rock. I can buy rocks from shop, but they don't have this one.

So I think my option are photoshop or Car_paint (Mental-ray material)

if you know something , say something,

regards

Attached Images
# 5 18-08-2011 , 02:09 AM
Technical Director

# 6 18-08-2011 , 04:21 AM
Here I made Mental-ray shader ( Mi_Car_paint_phen) with scale of flakes. but still I'm not happy with the result. Most be some other way.

@ next design, thanks for the link. but non of the rocks matches to this one. I tried but still No success.

I'm sure photoshop expert guys would know that.

regards

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 18-08-2011 , 04:47 AM
Technical Director

# 8 18-08-2011 , 05:06 AM
thanks Next design.

I think the last link is ok, its looks like to the image reference. I'll try and play around with this texture.

thanks and regards

# 9 18-08-2011 , 06:02 AM

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 18-08-2011 , 10:47 AM
Lifetime Member
I would have used PS...noise etc...this would have given a good effect. As ND also said you could use a procedural...there is noise/cloud etc within Maya. What you have is pretty good mate...nice effort...with PS you can apply motion or radial blur too so give it a rounding effect. But in the end whatever works mate...and isnt too hard to do LOL, the top rock looks good..the bottom one seems to lack "body"....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 18-08-2011 , 12:59 PM
Thanks bullet for the Advice,

Top stone is photoshop texture(noise+level) , and the second stone is maya mental-ray shader or material
Mi_Car_paint_phen.

I tried the both way, but the question is, how do I get the flakes same as the image reference. its all about the noise(flakes).

I'm still trying and doing some more researches. its great experience for me and I think for everyone as well.

This image reference is from Gnomon school DVD ( 3d max _vray_ physical Vs quality)

it has been rendered with v-ray, but I'm sure I can get the same effects If I have the right texture.

if you still know something ,,,,, Say something

# 12 18-08-2011 , 01:59 PM
Lifetime Member
Im a Surveyor by trade and not a modellers bumhole...nor am I any way able to inform you of textures...I dont know enough. I do however know that nature...even in polished stones...is diverse...so I would NOT try to replicate the image per se'.....it is art afterall. I will do a quick model and post..to see what I perceive as a polished stone....as I said the top stone looks the part...now if that is the case..I personally would replicate that...then alter it so ever slightly to give it an individual look...duplicate and change the colour or hue.....to give the illusion of seperate and completely unrelated stones...if you get my drift?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 13 18-08-2011 , 03:10 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
There is a granite material in maya which is a procedural texture and since this looks kinda the same I believe that you can use that with a blinn as the shader, just play around with settings and do small renders you"ll get there user added image

# 14 18-08-2011 , 08:12 PM
So Far I'm getting closer to the texture. More I do research, more I get closer.
But As you know the original image reference has been rendered with V-ray, I'm using Maya Mental-ray.

But I wouldn't give up, just the white stone left , which needs to be done as well.

more suggestions, welcome

regards

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by dubai3d; 18-08-2011 at 08:14 PM.
# 15 19-08-2011 , 01:05 AM
Lifetime Member
I need time to do the lighting but these are using Mayas granite as mastone suggested...half hour, its the lighting that will be the hardest mate

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968