Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-01-2003 , 02:05 PM

New case

This is not directly Maya related but I thought to ask your opinion.

I've recently built a new dual athlon system in my old midi tower case. The case is not good for the system since I can't arrange a good air flow through it. If I close the housing I could fry eggs on it after a while (j/k user added image). Anyway I need to do something about the cooling and the noise the thing is making. Water cooling would be propably the best solution but I don't want to invest that much on it plus there's always the leakage risk. I believe the heatsinks and fans I have on the CPUs are sufficient. I just need to get that hot air out of the box. So I've been looking for a new case that would suit my needs. I found this one: https://www.maxpoint.net/PROD_Detail-txt_67.php

The text is in german but the pictures are pretty convincing (see the pdf files). At least there are many possibilities for arranging the fans. Does anyone have experience on this case? Or if someone could recommend me some other case, that would be cool too. I don't need the PSU, just the case...

Thanks,

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 2 21-01-2003 , 08:45 PM

New Case

Hi K-Man

When I built mine - dual 1600+ MP i went for a Lian Li aluminium,

Lian Li PC 60 Aluminium USB + Enermax PSU, nice and quiet, nice and cool. Total cost around £180 to £200, haven't got the receipts around.

I think it's probably just vanity but it works well with bog standard heatsinks on the cpu's.

For info this is what's in it

2 x MP1600+ Athlons
Tyan Tiger mb
1280 MB DDR ram
3 x 40GB hard drives
1 x DVD drive
1 x GeForce 3 TI.. 64MB ram

Tootles along nicely. I found that in the summer it was useful to have an option to turn up the speed on the air intake at the front.

The air is drawn in through the front at exhausted through the psu and extra case fan, comes with the case.

I'll stop rambling except to say that water is definitely not necessary for a dual Athlon unless you are an avid overclocker. personally I'd rather steer well clear of water and electricity but then again I'm an old fart.

Cheers Ryan

# 3 21-01-2003 , 08:52 PM
I have a dual 2.2 athalon overclocked 400mhz each, and I can get them to stay at a very stable 40 deg. c. I had a very big issue with overheating at first, tried water cooled, ( there was a manufacture defect on the watercooler circuit board and it failed and fried my processors!!) The easiest/cheapiest solution that I found, was an all aluminum case that I found at Comp Usa, All aluminum makes a huge difference. It came with 5 case fans, all to slow, so I bought 5 aftermarket fans (from compusa) with ajustable speed to replace them. I keep the speed on low unless I am playing a game or rendering. By doing this its fairly quiet, that is, untill you bump up the speed. Also THe room temp makes a big difference, I moved my computer to the basment, so I get about 69-70 deg f room temp. Makes a difference. Well, thats my 2 cents, Like I said, My computer hasn't even come close to overheating with the all aluminum case. Now my video card on the other hand.... THats a difference story... THanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 4 25-01-2003 , 02:45 PM
Subscriber
my PC(intel), runs on a PC with 4 chasis fans, one HDD cooler
user added image... stays totally freeezin... hhhhghghhrhhr

# 5 25-01-2003 , 08:46 PM
Thanks for the answers. I went and bought the case I mentioned above. It was a perfect choice. I now can keep the thing closed and still maintain acceptable temps.

The case has 7 fan places. Two in front, two on the side, two at back and one on the roof. My fan config is now like this:

-Standard heatsinks and fans on the CPUs.
-Heatsink and fan on the north bridge (comes default with the mobo)
-Two fans in the PSU. One sucking the air from inside the box and one (manually adjustable) blowing it out from the back.
-One extra fan in front and one on the side.
-And of course the video card has a hs+fan too

I may add one or two fans to the case later just to be sure... or if I start overclocking this thing user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 26-01-2003 , 03:32 PM
Subscriber
that's one heck of a polar region!!!

# 7 31-01-2003 , 07:38 PM
SM Alumni
good gawd... you could cut a little hole out the front and store beer in it user added image

I have no case fans in my box and its run flawlessy for almost a year now user added image (P4 2.5/1024RDRAM/ti4200) though the PSU has 2 huge great fans that suck out an awful lot of air..

# 8 23-02-2003 , 12:49 AM
Where is a good place to buy a motherboard to support dual AMDs and what kind of motherboard. I want to make a new computer.

mahalo,

Myk

<a href="https://www.metic.net" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="_blank">www.metic.net</a><br />