Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-08-2005 , 06:03 PM
Subscriber

HMS Victory

Hi guys, well it's been a while so I though I would start a WIP thread.

Im going to try and do the HMS Victoy, the HMS Victory was built in 1765 and was the flagship of Lord Nelson at the battle of Trafalgar in 1805. It was also the ship where Nelsion lost his life during the Battle of Trafalgar.

It is still a ship that can be visited today as it is in dry dock in Portsmouth, England. That's the detials of the real ship, as for mine .... well I have only just started.

The screenshots are below. Im am tring to go for a fairly realistic and acurate model but am finding it a little difficult at the moment. I have pretty detialed plans of the ship and am looking at them wondering which bit goes to which other bit and where this coridor leads and all that. I think I need to persuade my girlfriend to have a day trip to Portsmouth.

Any comments greatly welcomed.

Cheers guys.

Attached Images

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 2 13-08-2005 , 06:21 PM
Subscriber
shot of the rear

Attached Images

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 3 13-08-2005 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber
A wireframe view

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 4 13-08-2005 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber

Attached Images

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 5 13-08-2005 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
And finally for now, one of my meny reference images from artist John McKay in the book 'HMS Victoy' by Alan McGowan (ISBN 1-88176-111-2)

Attached Images

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 6 16-08-2005 , 03:42 PM
Subscriber
One of the best sources for reference is the book 'The 100 Gun Ship Victory' by John Mackay from the Anatomy of a Ship series (I got mine from Amazon).

I've also just returned from a cruise round the Med that departed and arrived in Southampton - just 30 miles from Portsmouth. I took a day trip to visit Victory, and really enjoyed it. I got a huge number of reference photos that I may be able to let you take a look at.

If you get the chance, you really want to see Victory. It is really impressive, and is in immaculate condition. The conditions that the sailors lived in were appaling, with very little space to move around in. Also, the ceilings are extremely low (I'm 5'10", and was crouching most of the way round). Also, make sure you look at the surgeon's instruments on the Orlop deck - nice!

If you go to Portsmouth soon, you will have access to the Victory, and the Trafalgar Sail exhibit - the original topsail that was flown at Trafalgar, still sporting the battle damage inflicted by the Redoubtable.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 7 16-08-2005 , 07:32 PM
Subscriber
Yer mate, I had a look at that book online but I don't have the moeny. I'll see if my library has a copy they could get in for me.

I hope to go down there on the 22nd or 24th to have a lookk at it, im really looking forward to it. I was nerev overly interested in ship's untill one of the guys at Escape Studios suggested doing something few people model, like a big ship for example.

When I do get down there (I will phone up and check this before hand). I will be walking into evey nook and cranny I can possibly go to. Taking pictures like a loon. I might even take a digital camcorder ... if I can find one.

Anyway, I managd to have a day of from my Micky Mouse job at Game in Colchester to start doing some real work. I have done some of the rigging ... things and added a bit of trrim to the arse section (i'm sure I will know all the propper names as time goes on). I have also started to do some of the hammock netting on the deck. That'll just be a texuter, no fool would try to modell each piece of roap ... but I did think about it user added image

Attached Images

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 8 16-08-2005 , 07:35 PM
Subscriber
A bit of a closer look at todays work.

Attached Images

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 9 16-08-2005 , 09:52 PM
A model ship! It seems so obvious to build a model ship, but I rarely (if ever) see anyone do it.

Very cool!

Looking at this makes me think back to fond memories of plastic model parts and sniffing glue (unintentionally of course) ...

Dave

# 10 17-08-2005 , 08:04 AM
Subscriber
The only models I used to make as a kid was Star Trek ships. A bit sad but I had fun, my brother got into it more than I did. Tanks and all that with little Army men. How cool.

I just hope I can get this looking as close to the real thing as I can can. Im really iching to go and see it now, just want to get a bit clearer on some points and detials that the plans are a bit shady on.

I'll keep you posted.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 11 22-08-2005 , 12:56 AM
im modeling the same boat at the moment, the best book i have found is The Antatomy of Nelson's Ships has heaps of plans and pictures

# 12 22-08-2005 , 09:43 AM
Subscriber
How cool, I would like to see how your getting on with it.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 13 26-08-2005 , 09:10 AM
Subscriber
Sorry I haven't put an update on here for a while, been busy making some loy-poly game models for a friend of mine. Im going to do a bit more today and put some screenshots of my progess up tonight.

Didn't get the time to visit the actual HMS Victory but I will do that at some stage Besides, I have have enought to be getting on with. The whole point of the vist was to see the bits the plans wern't to clear on.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 14 27-08-2005 , 04:37 PM
Subscriber
This is some of the detial on the port (left) side of the quater deck.

Attached Images

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 15 27-08-2005 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
And here's one looking onto some of the detial on the Poop deck.

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog