Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 31-01-2007 , 09:05 PM

skeleton problem

can someone tell me why the center of the skeleton was like twisted? and how to i reset the rotation to be like... upright? i tried freeze transformation and got this error message "// Error: Freeze Transform was not applied because joint1.rotateX has incoming connection. //" please help thank you.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 01-02-2007 , 12:22 AM
Senior Software Developer
Basically, this error is telling you that the Joint1 Rotate X attribute in the control panel has some node attached to it. This will be either due to you having already binded the skin to the skeleton or some other node already working on it.

To reset its rotation this should be done for every joint that requires it prior to binding the skin. So unbind the skin and then try again.

If not let us know.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 01-02-2007 , 01:23 PM
ok thanks

# 4 01-02-2007 , 02:39 PM
still isnt working, i detached skin and still cant freeze transformations, same error message really frustrated user added image apreciate all the help i can get

# 5 01-02-2007 , 02:58 PM
Subscriber
the local rotation axis are messed up on the joint.
go in component mode and choose the compnent axis option and straighten it out. [see the docs]

# 6 01-02-2007 , 03:02 PM
simply recreated skeleton and it the rotation tool starts all crooked, after freezing transformations its still crooked and im completely stumped please help

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 01-02-2007 , 03:27 PM
the easiest way to fix this is to delete that joint, first unparent all child bones from it and delete it and simply replace it with a new joint.

as an explination of what happened is you made a full chain of joints branching from the root. usualy you want to make your root and end its chain there then make all other chains seperate. then parrent them to the root when your finished. this keeps the orentations of the root seperate from any chain in the hierarchy so your character will have a parent orentation that is to the world.

if you wanted to take the hard way of fixing it its similar to the easy way. all you would have to do is un parent the skeleton from the root and zero out the rotations. if the orentation is screwed up you need to use the orent tool to fix it to the world. ( skeleton>orent tool = option box)

make sure your setings are reset and your rotations are zero .

if you have any other questions, IM me and I'll help you out.

# 8 01-02-2007 , 05:54 PM
ok ill try that thanks,

# 9 02-02-2007 , 03:48 AM
it also might help if you change the size of your joints to something smaller, all you have to do is select all of your joints in the hierarchy and change the radius value to a lower number this makes placement a bit easier. this value is also unique to the chain so you can have another character of a diffrent size and it have larger joints.

or you can overide all joint sizes and adjusting the display size by going to Display>joint size>custom = option box. it basicly does the same thing as changing the radus value except it does it to all joints in the scene plus new joints.

# 10 04-02-2007 , 09:12 PM

sweet

sweet thanks i was trying to figure that out and couldnt, didnt think it was a big deal so i just left it thanks alot!