Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 31-05-2005 , 04:22 PM
Senior Software Developer
Bubble,

Lookin' really good..

Keep it up... Looks like I'm beat user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 32 01-06-2005 , 12:22 AM
https://img171.echo.cx/img171/9185/fisher64ot.jpg

just when i think i'm close to finishing the fish... and about to move onto the cave... i see stuff to fix.

FIXED:
-bump map redone
-color redone
-incandescence added
-transparency to fin added
-more volume given to eye-shield
-eyeball color changed to pop more

TO FIX:
-make eyeball a bit more bumpy
-make eyeballs look kinda mulky (not sure how to do )
-make veins on body and fins pop more
-add a cave for him to swim in

thanks Dae for the idea of lighting! i'll research more on it as soon as the fish is done.

# 33 01-06-2005 , 01:25 AM
I see this guy and I think ZOMBIE FISH!

He looks brutal. But I think your model has an elegant quality that is lost in these last renders.

Keep up the great work!

Dave

# 34 01-06-2005 , 02:47 PM
Yaikes I don't want to meet that fish user added image
Especially not his teeth user added image Nice job!
And especially nice use of coloring in the body of the fish, but that eye needs a little work but I see that's on your to fix list already user added image

-- Maya --
Pentium 4, Radeon 9800 Pro,
1,00 Ghz, 17 inch TFT
# 35 02-06-2005 , 09:22 AM
https://img49.echo.cx/img49/5853/fisher87ze.jpg

Fixed:
-more color/mulkiness/bumpiness added to eye balls
-more contrast given to veins on body

Added:
-lights with fog effect
-beginning of tunnel

To Fix:
-add and fudge w/ lighting more
-more details given to the tunnel
-texture tunnel

OMG WTF BBQ! just trying to make that fog light took 4 hours, hahaha. i somehow can not create more than one. I try to duplicate the light, but the duplicated light won't work like the original.

i had to render the tunnel with polygons to reduce render time, because im more concerned about lighting for now.

the final one will be render of a much close up to show details of the fish.

# 36 02-06-2005 , 09:29 AM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by bubbleme80
OMG WTF BBQ! just trying to make that fog light took 4 hours, hahaha. i somehow can not create more than one. I try to duplicate the light, but the duplicated light won't work like the original.

I tried the same user added image

OK, theres a tute at Gnonom Online that covers spotlight fog. I found it really useful and easy only took 30 mins to set up and then its just tweeking that took the rest of the time.

Hope you find it useful user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 37 02-06-2005 , 11:45 AM
ah, thank you so much!!! this is what i needed!

Thank you very very much

# 38 03-06-2005 , 01:08 AM
https://img259.echo.cx/img259/8131/fisher71ly.jpg

thanks to R@nSiD for the tutorial link!

Fixed:
-added two more lights from holes of tunnel
-added two more directional lights to make tunnel watery

To Fix:
-model details of tunnel
-add texture of tunnel

# 39 04-06-2005 , 12:54 AM
Subscriber

The Eye

Hey first of all i want to say that i think your model is awsome and its far better than what i am capable of at this time. Most of all I love the texturing its beautiful. The one thing i wanted to point out is the eye. I'm not sure what would fix it but there was something about it that kinda stuck out for me. I dont know if it is a little to perfect or if its the angle straight out at a ninety from the body. Well anyway it seems to make the fish look fake as were every thing else about it makes it seem real. I hope this was positive for you didn't mean to be negative in any way. Good luck I really like what you've done so far.

CDV
# 40 04-06-2005 , 01:08 AM
hey, i really appreciate it. i really thank you for pointing it out. it is the honest critiques that makes me notice the things to fix. And i also appreciate that you did not put it in any harsh ways.

i will try to figure out how to fix the eyes, i think the best way would be actually take the still and paint over in photoshop to see what looks best, and model it to make it look so.

i think the main reason the eye looks so odd is that it is too crisp, almost like a twinkling child's eyes.

it does need to get muddied and weathered a bit more, i think

# 41 05-06-2005 , 09:48 PM

You need to duplicate the input graph when you duplicate the light, you can't just use shift-d it wont work. Light fog is a pain in the arse in maya though, you'd be better off creating a new light and then copying the params over.

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 42 06-06-2005 , 05:37 AM
Subscriber

looking good

Hi Bubbleme,

You are amazingly talented. One thing I wanted to ask you was whether you meant to make the dark green part of the tail (the part closest to the body) look non-organic like the red things around the eyes. The dark green part of the tail looks like it's made of an artificial material (plastic or metal) to me, in contrast with all the organic details you put on the head, but maybe that was your intention.

Drought

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --Thomas A. Edison
# 43 06-06-2005 , 07:19 AM
ah, yes. there are a couple things i passed on to background before fixing the entire fish. Mostly because i was sick of modeling the fish, haha.

the things i need to fix, is the tail - body connection where it is not smoothed out. and i need to fix those.. funny things near his eyes. also the shape of eyes.

i shall fix them soon.

Thanks for telling me! if you didn't i probably forgot to fix and just kept going to a point where it would be hard to fix.