Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 10-01-2011 , 09:36 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks mate....now to find an image...that aint as easy as I thought!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 10-01-2011 , 09:39 PM
Acid44
# 18 10-01-2011 , 10:58 PM
EduSciVis-er
Nice work so far. I'm not so keen on the concentric circle pattern for the table (and chairs). Are you going to remap the surface? Keep it up, good luck finding a cool image.

# 19 10-01-2011 , 11:03 PM
Lifetime Member
No stwert...Im going to texture them all properly...they are just for reference mate...I am deciding whether to use materials or PS to texture them all properly. Thanks mate...

bahahaha thanks acid

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 20 10-01-2011 , 11:07 PM
EduSciVis-er
Oh okay, I wasn't sure user added image. For wood, you could try getting some clean materials and then dirtying/denting them up in PS. Might be fun to try.

# 21 11-01-2011 , 12:40 AM
Lifetime Member
Yeh I was thinking that with the drums stwert...they need some avgas writing on them and get that dusted up look as well as the pump, so I will PS those...I dont know what I will do with the timber yet...might google some stuff....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 22 11-01-2011 , 11:19 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok Jay...I have watched your video on composition...I have it..I think BUT 1 question...for anyone..except acid (bahahaha) cos I know the answer..LOL. Ok I have imported my image and set up a ground plane through the front view camera...now how the hell do I determine...ummmm focal point/infinity point/vanishing point..whatever you seriously good people call it...I know its behind the image of course but how do I determine the scaled stretch?? or is this a trial and error thing?

cheers bullet

P.S I remember Dom talking about focal length in a picture...I assume Dom this is what you meant? drawing straws as I know SFA about a lot.user added image

bullet1968

# 23 11-01-2011 , 11:37 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok I am making a HUGE assumption here...in the photo I have picked..to get the ground plane ROUGHLY orientated...I have assumed the following dimensions on the photo itself. Now taking those I create a right angle triangle under the plane then place that plane on the hypotenuse and place the FRONT of the ground plane at the start/bottom of the image. My plane will be behind the image so to speak..then place the objects on the newly created ground plane??

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 24 11-01-2011 , 04:41 PM
The Nurb Herd
focal length is pretty hard to determine if you don't know. i would say that it is a pretty neutral lens as there is no visible distortion towards the edges of the plate. (plate or backplate is an industry term for the image plane/sequence)
If you think those perspective lines are good then I would use those to help position your camera. you can make a poly plane and translate it back and forth in z or x (whichever heads towards the horizon.) if the plane does not really pass through the plate where you imagine the horizon to be then the camera is not at the right rotation.
use the lines of the grid or make a poly plane help you judge the perspective. if you line up edges along the lines in the grass that might help you determine the focal length.

assumption is the way to go to be honest. I do it all the time at work, if i dont have any camera data... its the only thing you can do i reckon.

# 25 11-01-2011 , 09:18 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks dom,

yes it is rather difficult....best fit (assumption) you are right...not much else I can do really. I will play with it tonight and see how I go, thanks again mate.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 26 11-01-2011 , 11:02 PM
The Nurb Herd
sorry if it doesn't make much sense... typing quickly at work.

# 27 11-01-2011 , 11:21 PM
The Nurb Herd
i had a go, I think the lens is pretty neutral between 28 and 35mm. I put 28, but just because its a prime lens. (but then again so is 35).
I think you picked a good photo to use, it shouldn't pose any problems setting up.

Good luck man. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 12-01-2011 , 01:36 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL thanks mate...I know how you feel...I read my e-mails and SM threads @ 0500 before I have to go to work...so Im still half asleep when Im perusing...thanks mate! I will have a go at lunchtime and see what I can come up with and match yours...you champignon you!

cheers bullet

P.S I was trying to get a WW2 photo but they are all poor quality...this one is actually in Canberra where my sister lives...and she and hubby are ex R.A.A.F...ironic LOL. Visually I tries to pich something that I could gauge...being a Surveyor I though the flattest plane with little distortion would be easier for me...sweet for the help mate

bullet1968

# 29 16-01-2011 , 12:28 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
cool,stuff, yeah the 28 is pretty good there,the horizon line and the perspective on the right are pretty good

Jay

# 30 19-01-2011 , 11:09 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok I have been busy at work and the heat has really taken its toll on me...I havent touched maya for a while now. I will ask some advice though...I was using MR (basic) to try and render the composite but my laptop keeps crashing. Will by using the approximation editor and Maya software relax the CPU's need for power? otherwise Im stuffed and I wont be able to do it...unless I remove all of the drums etc from the scene...suggestions please peoples...Im at a brick wall...sigh

bullet1968