Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-04-2006 , 05:36 AM
Subscriber

Project Sephiroth

Hey everyone,

I've been in the 3D world for about 8 months now and I'm thinking about modeling one of the coolest characters ever, Sephiroth.

My question is, how would I go about making the hair? I'd like to animate it blowing in the wind. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-04-2006 , 07:56 AM
Subscriber
Well if you've got Unlimited 7 you could use Maya Hair (6 might have it as well, don't remember)... Another alternative is Shave and a Haircut, but I have no idea if it's got simulation for animation... Other posibilities would be to make it with alpha mapped planes of paintFX and then animate if by hand...

Sephiroth rules! user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 3 05-04-2006 , 08:41 AM
Having played with paintFX and shave and a haircut (but not maya fur/hair) then I'd say that shave and a haircut gives you soooo much better control over the hair and what you can do with it. There are loads of options and after a few hours playing you'll be able to start creating some pretty realistic looking hair. I dont know about the animation capabilities though would expect them to be decent. Check out the website for a demo to have a play with:
https://www.joealter.com/

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 4 13-04-2006 , 07:21 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Make the hair from a poly and map it, then for ease of use in animation turn it into a softbody surface and weight it accordingly. then do your animation without worrying too much

Jay