Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-03-2008 , 01:57 AM

maya+zbrush self portrait

this is something i have been working on for one of my zbrush classes. our assignment was to model our head then make ourselves look old using zbrush. it still needs work (ears and hair) i plan to complete it for use in my demo reel.

what do you think so far?
suggestions welcome. user added image

marshmellows,
whitney

user added image

user added image

user added image

every tool is a weapon if you hold it right
# 2 14-03-2008 , 02:06 AM
Subscriber
im just new to 3D so I dont think I can be really helpful... but I think that between nose and eyebrow it can be retouched
but maybe its just me with the angles
but its really beautiful I cant wait to be able to do things like that
im sure it will be a master piece user added image

Maya modeler - current project Avatar - purplemikey
# 3 14-03-2008 , 02:10 AM
Subscriber
I think the bridge between the nose does seem a little large, but then again it might be how your face is built. Mind giving us a reference so that we can help you improve to make it more realistic?

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 4 14-03-2008 , 02:39 AM
Sag the chin so it complements the saggy cheeks you've got.
Increase the depth of the line from the nose to the mouth.
Drop the lower area of the eyebrows (or the top eyelids) slightly.
Slightly enlarge the end of the nose and make it drop a very small amount.

In the older version you look like you've flattened the cheeks under the eyes. What you need to do is keep them as the young version and then create bags under the eyes, kind of like taking the area immediately under the eye (but not the cheekbone) back a small amount to form a near crease. Then you can baggy that up a little.

The best advice though is to search the web for images of old people and see how areas of the face change with age.

Good start though user added image
I did a similar thing with a model head I was experimenting with. If its any use you can see it here:
https://www.flash-fx.net/3D/gallery/ -> scroll down to the generic head mesh bit and compare the second and third thumbnails for differences (click to open them large). Also the 7th thumbnail along is a kind of cartoony old man.

Simon

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 5 14-03-2008 , 02:45 AM

Originally posted by alexanderH
I think the bridge between the nose does seem a little large, but then again it might be how your face is built. Mind giving us a reference so that we can help you improve to make it more realistic?

this is my front reference shot:

user added image

every tool is a weapon if you hold it right
# 6 14-03-2008 , 04:32 AM
Your front ref isnt really matching to what would be the true front.

I would get someone to get a shed load of photographs of me at all angles, then set you modeling cam to that focal legnth (to give a "proper" perspective.

Try and get a close as possible likeness to yourself now in maya as a base mesh (not the full likeness just structure, bone muscle tendons etc in the base mesh, keeping a tight eys on edge loops), then go into Z. If you have Z3.1 then try sculpting with gravity using the std brus, pich and inflate, that should be enough to get you through, add the alphas later on to add the pores etc.

If you get the loops in there now on the base so they match now when you move em about it should still keep the likeness but change the look.

Youve got a good start there, so keep it up, also addding ears will help a load.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 14-03-2008 at 04:36 AM.
# 7 14-03-2008 , 06:00 AM
Super Moderator
the camera angle for the front ref is too low which could be throwing you off a bit.

user added image

- Genny