Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 09-08-2005 , 11:23 PM

How to begin?

I have maya 7, and i dont know nothing about it...
Could you say what should i know before create my "art"??
Some links to the "gettin started", "ready to use" and these things...

And please, answer me like i'm a n00b, so please be patient...

P.S. Sorry for my bad english!

# 2 09-08-2005 , 11:31 PM
Subscriber
In my opinion you should learn the interface first. While the tendancy is to jump in and start modeling, I believe you should have solid understanding of where everything is or at least passing familiarity with it so you know where to find tools, options, etc. Beyond the interface it depends on what you want to do... will you be focused on modeling, animating, rigging, or ....? It is possible to specialize in an area without knowing the rest (but it helps if do know other areas).

When we learn to write, we first learn the alphabet, our basic building blocks. my2 cents.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 09-08-2005 , 11:36 PM
Thanks for the answer.

I know that i should begin with the interface and going on, but my problem, is findo something in the net that says like "here you can do this and this...", like that, do you know, im a completly noob:headbang:

First of make my choice of modeling, animation or other thing, i need to make one of each, to see what is my "best theme".

So, i liked the quick answer, and, one more time, thanksuser added image

# 4 10-08-2005 , 01:35 AM
Hey...I totally agree with mhcannon.....you have to learn the interface first...but...the good thing is that there are tutorials out there that help you out with the interface....explaining what features it has...what does what...how you can do something...etc...just look around...this site is an excellent resource of course....and if you are serious enough...I would recommend getting either the Art Of Maya (it's not a big "tutorial" book...more of a "telling you everything you can do" book)......and another book that will get you really familiar with the interface and working in maya..is the learning may foundation book (I know it's a really horrible book..but I have to admit I got used to the interface fairly quickly with it)...anywho....that's really cool that you have maya 7...man...i've seen what's in it...I can't wait for my school to update to version 7...good luck with everything
theanswerrp03

# 5 10-08-2005 , 10:12 AM
Get some of the tutorials from Digital Tutors or Lynda.com. I found them very helpful for getting started. Lynda has the first chapters on their website for free too.

# 6 10-08-2005 , 12:41 PM

Originally posted by XRS
Thanks for the answer.

I know that i should begin with the interface and going on, but my problem, is findo something in the net that says like "here you can do this and this...", like that, do you know, im a completly noob:headbang:

First of make my choice of modeling, animation or other thing, i need to make one of each, to see what is my "best theme".

So, i liked the quick answer, and, one more time, thanksuser added image

Yes, i agree with that too, but, i need free books to download, because in Portugal we dont have those books, so, if you could me send links to learn, step-by-step will be cool!!

Thanks to all answers and i will try to learn something in maya, if i found somethin in the net!:p

# 7 10-08-2005 , 12:43 PM
Yes, i agree with that too, but, i need free books to download, because in Portugal we dont have those books, so, if you could me send links to learn, step-by-step will be cool!!

Thanks to all answers and i will try to learn something in maya, if i found somethin in the net!:p

# 8 15-08-2005 , 01:12 PM
Subscriber
hello!

Hey, I think a good thing to start with is to check out documentation that comes with maya. It explains you about basics of iterface, modeling, etc.

When you will have Maya opened, press F1 on your keybord,and a new site will open in your Internet explorer/firefox/whatever you use. Then start reading it, you will see you can learn a lot from it.

Also, when you will be in maya, check for "Help" menu at the top, and select "Tutorials", it will open a site wit all the tutorials you need to have a basics of Maya.

Finally, check out this site:
https://www.learningmaya.com

You have lots and lots of tutorials there.

Hope this can help you user added image

Cheers,
Zocky

# 9 16-08-2005 , 12:30 PM
Another great site for starting is highend3d:

https://www.highend3d.com/

I also highly recommend the training dvd's you can get from alias. I've got a couple now and they get you up to speed pretty fast.

msn: great_expanse AT hotmail.com
# 10 16-08-2005 , 01:30 PM
ok guys wtf? someone asks to learn maya and you send them off to the competitor's websites... lol ok check out the FREE tutorials here at SM

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?cat_id=23

failing that just get stuck in there and have a go. You could spend time reading about the interface but I found it easier just to get my hands dirty and have a go! user added image on the subject of books: I've never bought a maya book. I borrowed some from the school library but I didn't really use them. You can find enough info on the web in the form of written and video tutes that you dont really need a book. And for the record no more talk of "downloading free books" it's skating the thin line of piracy talk.

good luck and post here if you have questions or need help, that's what we're here for.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 11 16-08-2005 , 04:04 PM
what is your msn adresse xrs. if you have one.

# 12 17-08-2005 , 05:04 AM
i first learned by doing tutorials on Maya help..

# 13 17-08-2005 , 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
failing that just get stuck in there and have a go. You could spend time reading about the interface but I found it easier just to get my hands dirty and have a go! user added image

Thats actually how i really started with 3D. Just open the software, create a test project and just start clicking user added image

First i simply created cubes/spheres/cones...etc and simply played around.

Then i found it intresting to download free models from the net and look at the build of the mesh and tweak thinks abit.

user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....