Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 22-11-2006 , 10:20 AM

Camera, keying perspective to orthog

I'm trying to animate the look of 3D text animating to 2D. So to do this I'd like to animate the perspective camera. Is it possible to keyframe the camera attributes from the default settings in the perspective camera to the equivalent of an orthogonal front view camera?

Thanks,
T

# 2 22-11-2006 , 11:12 AM
you can key the focal length to go to a very high number on a perspective camera. It wont be completley orthogonal but it might work. It actually sounds like a 2d job to me but I would need more info.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 22-11-2006 , 11:18 AM
Not really a 2D job. It basically is going to from a 3D to 2D. I'm trying to make it as seemless as possible. There in lies the challenge.

Thanks,
T

# 4 22-11-2006 , 05:24 PM
Subscriber
maybe composite it and key in in after effects?? a few quck dissolves (transitions) in an editing program, i'd need more info too??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 5 22-11-2006 , 09:22 PM
i actually tried to do this today just to see if it could be done... the problem with keying the focal length is that it ends up flattening the image to extremes (and zooms like crazy - so i had to pull the camera out and try to match object size as the camera dollys out and the lens zooms in), when the actual orthographic viewports do not... i used a camera with aim and started with a keyframe towards the end of the camera movement, working backwards along the timeline to get the move. i think without keying the focal length it would be fine... just as long as you have the camera along an axis you should get your end result (and then taking mirek's and pm's advice, then going into a 2d compositing program and performing a transition from the camera movement to your still image).

Accept no substitutions.