Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 24-12-2007 , 07:49 PM

Hollow Question

hey guys, new to maya. great program, really confusing though. just trying to get used to it. here's my question

i created some 3d letters showing "P S C" in block lettering. everything was going pretty good until i tried to figure out how to make the hole in the p, how could i hollow it out? here is what i have so far. (attached file)

Attached Thumbnails

Comp Setup:
-Acer Aspire Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad
-2.4 GHz Processer
-500GB SATA HD
-300GB IDE External HD (usb)
-2GB DDR2 RAM
-16x DVD DL Burner
-ATI Radeon X1650SE PCI-E Graphics Card
-Dual Monitor (19" DVI LCD, 19" VGA LCD)
-Vista Home

Software:
-Autodesk Maya 8.5
-Adobe Production Studio CS3
-Cubase SX3
-Quicktime Pro
# 2 24-12-2007 , 08:24 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
select the faces at the top of the P on both sides. Edit Mesh> Extrude... then use the extrude manipulator that pops up to scale the faces down to the size of the hole that you want.
What ever you do on the one side should be replicated on the back side.... as long as your using the Manipulator tool that pops up when you hit extrude.

When you've got the faces down to the size you want... hit delete. Then simple use the 'Append to polygon tool' under Edit Mesh. And click on one of the edges around the new hole, and then click on the corresponding edge on the other side on the P.... continue in this fashion until you have filled up all the open areas.

Alternately, you could simply go to, Create> Text. And Type in the word that you want, change the font and Object type (Polys, Nurbs, Curves, or Bevel) Then hit create.

user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 24-12-2007 at 08:27 PM.
# 3 24-12-2007 , 08:29 PM
really appreciate the help, thanks so much

Comp Setup:
-Acer Aspire Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad
-2.4 GHz Processer
-500GB SATA HD
-300GB IDE External HD (usb)
-2GB DDR2 RAM
-16x DVD DL Burner
-ATI Radeon X1650SE PCI-E Graphics Card
-Dual Monitor (19" DVI LCD, 19" VGA LCD)
-Vista Home

Software:
-Autodesk Maya 8.5
-Adobe Production Studio CS3
-Cubase SX3
-Quicktime Pro
# 4 25-12-2007 , 05:13 AM
Subscriber
You could also use the text creation tool to make the text with the holes already in it.

Chris