Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 30-03-2011 , 04:11 AM

Successfull created a hole in model! But when smooth out model, holes becomes weird..

Hello everyone! ^_^

I ran into a problem. I've managed to create a hole into my model but when I smooth it out by pressing the keypad number 2, the holes became weird. I've tried smoothing out the model first then create the hole but the object became back polygon-ish.user added image

So the question is how am I suppose to maintain the perfect hole with the my object smoothed out?user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-03-2011 , 05:59 AM
It could be a result of your edge flow, can you post a wireframe shot for us to see?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 30-03-2011 , 06:51 AM
It looks like you have used boolians to make the holes.

Boolians always (unless you know what they do and where to use them) cause issues with the Geo.

Post up a wireframe and we will be able to help out a bit more.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 30-03-2011 , 09:45 AM
Lifetime Member
I agree with gster....I say you have used a boolean....also did you 'smooth' the geo proper in the Mesh>Smooth tab up the top? as the preview is just that...a preview and it does not smooth it techinally.

ctbram has done a tutorial in here somewhere on a couple of methods of making holes in geo...find them..excellent tutorage, the man is a legend.

I dont know what you are making...but if it is booleans you need...then you will have to go Mesh>Smooth and divide it maybe a couple of times (ie do it again)..this will leave the geo PERMANENTLY smooth mate...so make this decision wisely..it cant be reversed if you save the file (overwrite)....maybe save as project2.mb so you can go back to the older one if you dont lie it.

Once you smooth the geo then boolean..then you will NOT have to smooth the geo again and the holes will maintain their integrity...remember too if you are using cylinders give them at least 30 divisions..as you wont be able to smooth the geo so you want smooth looking holes. I will post a pic in an hour if you need to clarify mate.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 30-03-2011 , 10:01 AM

I dont know what you are making...but if it is booleans you need...then you will have to go Mesh>Smooth and divide it maybe a couple of times (ie do it again)..this will leave the geo PERMANENTLY smooth mate...so make this decision wisely..

Not entirely. If you have the history on you can go into the smooth node in the attributes and adjust the continuity back ot 0 to get rid of the smooth.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 30-03-2011 , 10:06 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL I didnt bloody know that steve LOL...I wore out my CTRL Z key quite a bit early on...I said it wrong methinks..I meant if you save and bake it..then can you still go back gster??? after the save? and yes I leave history on until I think I need to clean it

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 30-03-2011 , 10:28 AM
0_0 WOWOW!! It works!! XD I can finally complete my model properly!! Once Im done, I'm gonna let u guys see it as a thank-you gift! ^_^

# 8 30-03-2011 , 10:35 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL no worries mate...at least you are having fun..which is what it ia all about

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 9 30-03-2011 , 04:14 PM
EduSciVis-er

# 10 30-03-2011 , 04:57 PM
Lifetime Member
stwert you are a legend for the FAQ...well done

bullet1968