Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 13-05-2006 , 02:16 AM
I think this close up really shows the benefit of nurbs. Every edge has a tiny bevel that is really easy to do with nurbs, and adds hugely to the realism. Once again, I would have huge difficulties trying to do those fillets with polys. (See the previous thread page for a full size image).

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 13-05-2006 , 02:34 AM
I use NURBS over polys too user added image (started recently, but I kno what ur talking about).

Great details man user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 18 13-05-2006 , 06:21 AM
Decided to try some HDRI's. Let me know which one you like best. I kinda like the third one, even if it is a little dark.

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 13-05-2006 , 06:22 AM
Here's the second.

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 13-05-2006 , 06:24 AM
And my favorite.

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 13-05-2006 , 06:38 AM
OK, I've changed my mind. This one is now my favorite. I added another light to pick up the highlights, and I'm really happy with the result.

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 13-05-2006 , 07:12 AM
Subscriber
really excellent stuff dilberts.
I would prefere to see some kinda highlight or light reflection on the actual glass face too!

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 23 13-05-2006 , 11:45 AM
Another great job user added image ...You're work is simple amazing, really great... I love user added imageuser added image

Well from the all HDRI's I like the second and the last one user added image

One question, how do you multiply the surfaces to make the bevel, so you can make than all the same size?....sorry if it's a confused question :S....It's just I wanna model a tire and a grill for a car so I'm a bit confused and I don't know how to make it :headbang:

Are you using mentalray?

But really great work....keep it up user added image

Best Regards

Gamester

"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
# 24 13-05-2006 , 03:52 PM
Subscriber
looking nice dilberts as always :bow:

have u ever thought about doin a tut for this site and making it on how to model with nurbs and in the tut make somethin like this ect - cos i think that would be sweet and would open up many ppls skill sets

user added image :bow:

ps i like the pic at the top of the page an also the last one and the first one of the choice for mid shot

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 25 13-05-2006 , 03:59 PM
Gamester, I'm not really sure I understand your question. What do you mean by "multiply the surfaces"? And yes, it's rendered with mental ray.

pbman, I'd love to make a tutorial (or book/DVD). Unfortunately, I have no idea how to rig my computer to capture real time video with audio like all these DVD tutorials are.

# 26 13-05-2006 , 04:27 PM
Subscriber
camtasia - it lets u chose what/how much or the screen to record
lets u edit it
add quizzes ect, will record form mike either live or after

i think sm and digital tutors use it

# 27 13-05-2006 , 04:46 PM
Interesting, I'll look into it. I do have a high speed DVD burner, so I could maybe make my own. I'd have to look into the production costs though. It's also hard to know what to make the tutorial about. Problem is, I think a lot of people buy tutorial DVD's to simply end up with a finished product that looks good, rather than actually using the tutorial as a learning tool to learn techniques. I've never liked the step-by-step, make one model, type tutorial as it's too easy to just mimic someone else, rather than come up with your own ideas. I do have some tricks/techniques that I've picked up over the last year that might help people though.

What I'm saying is that I'd rather make an "Advanced modeling techniques with NURBs" type DVD, rather than a "How to make a NURBs watch" DVD. It would have modeling examples, but would not focus on one particular model for 4 hours.

# 28 13-05-2006 , 05:49 PM
Subscriber
i see what u muean, the viewer has to learn

mayb like u said a tips and tricks one would be quite nice but i think some ppl wanna learn nurbs fro the start an like some tuts it says create curves like these(ie the car tut on 3dtotal for example and it shows curvs in correct place), i mean dont go too basic (ie explaining projection ect) but cover the bare essentials for it so that u wouldnt get too stuck

# 29 13-05-2006 , 06:53 PM
Sure, I know what you mean. I looked into that software, and it's around $400, plus I'd need video editing software, and the cost of DVD's etc. So all told, it would probably be about a $1000 investment. To recoupe the production costs would probably be hard without advertising like on this site. I'm not looking for a profit, but I can't afford to take a loss either. I am trying to make the plunge though and make a partial living doing this. I've gotten two clients already just from having my work on sites like this (small projects for individuals looking to market a product), but I still have a family to support, so I won't be quitting my job any time soon.

# 30 13-05-2006 , 07:33 PM
Subscriber
if u do it for this site do they not pay for the dvd and burn them?

camtasia has editing facilities in it that should alright to edit it in - there is a free trial out there for it so u could look at that to see what its like

well done on getting clients frrom sites like this well deserved:bow: