Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 09-09-2007 , 05:04 PM

Modeling the great wall of china

Hi guys,

I am trying to model something that looks a lot a like the great wall of china. I was wondering how could i make the polygon wall to follow the surface of the mountains, witch are made from a poly plane and a displacement map.
Is there a way to make a polygon object morph depending on his contact with an other object?(I tried warp but it didn t work so well)..

Thanks all for your help

# 2 09-09-2007 , 05:09 PM
The Maya Mountain
if I were going to do this, I'd probably finalize how I want the ground to look and then use Make Live to draw a couple path curves on the surface and Extrude or Birail or whatever the geometry for making the wall out of.

# 3 09-09-2007 , 05:21 PM
or If youve modeled the wall already you could use a lattice to adjust the positioing of the wall to match the contours of the terain

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 10-09-2007 , 04:49 AM
Thanks guys for the suggestions, i haven t model anything yet. I am just trying to find out where i should start.
So there is no way to follow the surface of the displacement map?
Cause i am going to create the moutains out of a rough poly plane, and add a displacement map for the the relief details..