Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-04-2008 , 10:01 AM

MR pheonom tranparancy?

it there any way to map a transparancy map to a MR pheonom paint shader? i have been banging my head trying to map decals on a car model with the MR pheonom paint under or over it, best i could think of was to route the MR shader through a maya shader and apply the transparansy to the maya node but when i do it doesn't override the maya color info. i'm pretty new to MR so any help would be great. also i've been having problems with uv mapping with the subdivs. i cannot get any mapping to work cept auto and it gets all jacked up, i have had to resort to mapping on the poly model and then convert to subdivs and paint a general outline with the 3D paint tool to get a reference of where to geometry is jacked up on the uv map? again any help would be awsome. thanks.

# 2 04-04-2008 , 06:08 PM
have you tried (or is it possible) to create a layered shader with the mental ray shader as the bottom layer?

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 05-04-2008 , 05:17 AM
yeah when i put the MR shader as the bottom shader in the layers it loses is look, i think even with the decal map having the transparency everywhere but where the decals are maya still uses the top layers info for the spec and such all over

# 4 05-04-2008 , 07:17 PM
look for the mix8layer plugin and you can use two of the car paint shader one will be all black and just white for the specularity and reflection, then for the bottom layer map the decals to the base colour turn the specularity and reflection to black and i think that should work

# 5 14-04-2008 , 11:58 AM
k so i found out to apply the decals as a projection and it preserves the MR phenom shader below