Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-01-2009 , 09:54 AM
Acid44

i need serious help...

okay, so i formatted my comppputer today and i totally forgot that windows XP Pro doesn't have ANY of my drivers in it... thanks dell...

im in knoppix right now, which is like a linux cd boot thing, which has my drivers, but i have no way i can think of to transfer them to my windows install, i can download them in knoppix but i cant burn them to cd because i cant take out this boot disk and i cant put them on any usb devices because right now i have none... anyone know any possible way i could do it? any help would be reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaa;ly appreciated...

user added image

# 2 08-01-2009 , 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Got a spare HDD laying around? If you don't bum one off a buddy for a minute.

- Genny
# 3 08-01-2009 , 11:16 AM
Didnt you get a drivers CD with the comp?

You could install your AV software connect it to the net then download all the drivers form Dell's site.

Or just do what Gen said.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 08-01-2009 , 11:24 AM
Acid44
i dont have a spare HD layin around and i dont think anyone i know does, that would let me use it at least user added image

i cant connect to the net because i cant get my ethernet driverrrs over to windows and the usb cable for my modem is missing in acton user added image

# 5 08-01-2009 , 11:27 AM
Subscriber
i would send you one of mine but i dont want it to get broken and i'm too lazy to package it up nicely to send to canada

can't you access the stuff thats on the linux drive from windows?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 08-01-2009 , 11:29 AM
Think you might have to go and buy one.

How are you on the net via knoppix if you dont have a modem cable?

Might be worth remembering to get all the things you need before doing a reinstall (ive not in the past and its a right pain as your finding out)

# 7 08-01-2009 , 01:15 PM
Acid44
@chirone - lmao, i wouldn't expect it anyways haha

@gster - i've got the ethernet cable for the modem, just not the usb, im not even sure if windows has the usb drivers for the computer either though anyways... i did this same thing the last time i formatted this comp, but at that time i had 2 computers so i just used the other one to get the drivers

oh, and as for the driver cd, it was lost when i moved in march

also as for coppying the drivers from linux to windows, i was thinking about that too, because the linux boot, even though it's a cd boot, will let me download, but i cant figure out where it would be on the drive when i go back into windows, and in linux if i try to copy or move them to the windows install it says i dont have permissions for it

Last edited by Acid44; 08-01-2009 at 01:18 PM.
# 8 08-01-2009 , 05:59 PM
The USB should work no probs as its supported in XP

# 9 09-01-2009 , 05:13 AM

Originally posted by acid44
also as for coppying the drivers from linux to windows, i was thinking about that too, because the linux boot, even though it's a cd boot, will let me download, but i cant figure out where it would be on the drive when i go back into windows, and in linux if i try to copy or move them to the windows install it says i dont have permissions for it

A Linux LiveCD sets up a virtual drive. Once you reboot or turn the power off, everything on it is gone.

If you don't have permissions to copy or move files to the hard drive, start the terminal, type in "su" and hit enter. Now Knoppix should be using the KDE desktop right? If so, type in "konquerer" to start the file browser. If its using GNOME, "nautilus --browser" should do. Now you have root access and can do whatever you please! :attn:

However, beware if the hard drive uses NTFS, Linux is a bit unpredictable when it comes to writing files to NTFS drives. Some people have no problems, some get major corruption.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!

Last edited by The Architect; 09-01-2009 at 05:19 AM.
# 10 09-01-2009 , 09:35 AM
Acid44
nothing seemed to change, i typed in "su" and hit enter then this line came up "root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# " then when i typed in "konquerer" it said it was an unknown command so i tried tyoung in "nautilus --browser" and it said it was an unknown command too...

EDIT: okay, nvm, i spelled "konquer" wrong, but when i type "su" and hit enter isnt the desktop supposed to change? it didnt...and i still dont have any permissions...

EDIT 2: i just read a little tutorial thing HERE
where one of the comments says if you have an NTFS file system on your hard drive you're out of luck, is this true in all cases? cause i think mine's NTFS... also when i try the method they use in that tut for the usb thingy, it says the operation could not be completed... something like "couldnt preform operation: remount, maybe another process is using the system"

Last edited by Acid44; 09-01-2009 at 10:03 AM.
# 11 09-01-2009 , 10:07 AM

Originally posted by acid44
nothing seemed to change, i typed in "su" and hit enter then this line came up "root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# " then when i typed in "konquerer" it said it was an unknown command so i tried tyoung in "nautilus --browser" and it said it was an unknown command too...

EDIT: okay, nvm, i spelled "konquer" wrong, but when i type "su" and hit enter isnt the desktop supposed to change? it didnt...and i still dont have any permissions...

Actually I spelt Konqueror wrong... my bad - I use it every day too user added image

Well, since the prompt says "root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix#", it means you have root access (the Windows equivalent would be administrator mode). If you are in root, then if you start the file browser, it would have root access too, and you should be able to access everything. The desktop isn't supposed to change becuase it is still in user mode.

Does the Windows drive use the NTFS file system? It most likely does unless you use FAT32. Linux has problems reading and writing to NTFS disks. It usually returns cryptic errors. On my Fedora setup, I have a second hard drive for Windows. I don't have the NTFS drivers installed, so Konqueror says, "TODO: have to rethink extra options" when I try to access the Windows drive.

Could you give the exact error? It doesn't sound like a permissions problems - in root you should have all access.

# 12 09-01-2009 , 10:16 AM
Acid44
when i try the method in that tutorial in the link i put up it says "command failed, maybe another process is using the filesystem currently" not exact words but close...

when i start up konqueror the way you mentioned and try to drag and drop the files to "/media/sda2/" which is where the windows install is, it still says "you can not drop files in a directory to which you do not have permissions" or if i right click the file and go to "copy to" and find the "/media/sda2" the option "copy here" is greyed out... is there something im missing here?

EDIT: tried moving the file from the desktop folder to the root folder in the konqueror that the terminal opened, then copying from there to the "sda2" folder and it gave the same error

Last edited by Acid44; 09-01-2009 at 10:21 AM.
# 13 09-01-2009 , 10:37 AM
Can you go into the drive and see whats on it?

If you can't it might be becuase the drive is not mounted. In Linux, drives have to be mounted before they can be used and unmounted before they can be removed. The OS should take care it automatically, like when it boots or when an app wants access.

Right click on the drive in Konqueror. There should be an option to unmount it. You'll get that option if the drive is mounted. If it isn't, it should have an option that says to mount in its place. Click that to get the drive mounted and see if you can copy files to it.

I don't know what the deal with "command failed, maybe another process is using the filesystem currently" is. Perhaps its just Knoppix. Its a LiveCD, so it may act a bit differently to an install. I wouldn't know becuase I've never used it.

I dunno if this helps, but a quick Google search returns:

https://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114651

https://www.linuxforums.org/forum/kno...ly-simple.html

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...noppix-282541/

# 14 10-01-2009 , 11:53 AM
Acid44
so what seems to be the re-courring issue here is the NTFS file system... so it looks like ill have to format again and use FAT32...?

so how the hell do i do that?

im gonna go buy and mp3 player later on today when i go pick up my violin and then if i cant transfer the files with that i guess ill have to figure out how to switch to FAT32 :headbang: been a while since i had to use that smiley.... but it seems to work in this situation...

BTW, i can go in and see ALL the files, i just can't write to it no matter what i try...

# 15 11-01-2009 , 01:43 AM
When its time to format the hard drive during a XP install, the screen that gives you the options to select which drive, etc should also give the option to choose between NTFS and FAT32.

FAT32 sucks though (Google it) IMO, its best to stick to NTFS.

Now, since you can see what is on the drive, but you can't write to it, it may be becuase the drive is mounted in read-only mode or you don't have the part of the NTFS driver that lets you write stuff to it installed (I think there are two, can't remember).

Even if we get files to copy to NTFS, there is a chance that may corrupt the NTFS drive (becuase Billy Gates won't release the tech info for NTFS so the driver pretty much guesses a lot of the details).

A USB stick may be the best option and they are pretty cheap: 2 GB for $20 where I live.

Good luck! user added image