Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-03-2010 , 12:46 AM

Unusual streching when using the rotator tool.

Hello!

I wonder if anyone has experienced this issue before. I have a hand made in a hierarchy and i am creating a rig for it using attributes (I'm new to Maya from xsi so I'm learning as many different rigging methods as I can.)

Whenever i go to rotate the finger joints the main object of the finger segment stretches. is there any way to prevent this? (aside from using blend shapes) there are currently no attributes available on the items in question and the history and translate have been deleted and frozen.

each segment is arranged :
top segment
- Wire attachment ring
- top hinge
-- bottom hinge
--- bottom segment
--- Wire attachment ring .etc

The wires move using clusters of points on the wire object that have been parented to the rings.

I am using Maya 2008 on Windows 7
Thanks!
Nick

user added image
user added image

# 2 19-03-2010 , 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
That is a grouping issue, Maya doesn't quite know where that piece belongs.

- Genny
# 3 19-03-2010 , 07:16 PM
hmm to my knowledge I haven't grouped anything in this scene. I tried ungrouping the object but it just knocked it out of the hierarchy. I tried moving it again and the same effect happened even outside of a parent group. looking at the hyper shade its shape is only connected to the initial shading group.

I then tried grouping the object but the same thing happens even under central rotation

I've even tried re-modelling the finger tip but the same effect happens user added image

its strange because the other two segments of the fingers work fine it's just the tips

Thanks for your help anyway user added image

edit:
Ahah! i finally fixed it. i duplicated the joint above the second knuckle and replaced the existing tip joint with it it now seems to work! its odd because thats how i made the finger in the first place but ho-hum at least it works!
thanks again user added image

Last edited by pineapple_pirate; 19-03-2010 at 08:54 PM.
# 4 20-03-2010 , 12:29 AM
Try deleting all history of it.