Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-08-2003 , 10:54 AM

First Post (one of many) and I need Help!

Hey all,

Complete newbie to 3d animation so go easy. Absolutely loving Maya, what a program! Got my maya fundamentals book through Amazon recently, and I'm right into it. Much fun indeed.

Anyway, I'm running through the oceanworld tutorial.....some of you would have done it no doubt.....and I have run aground so to speak. I've created a boat and attached a camera to it and made a motion path and the boat follows the path no problem, as does the camera. Howerver, I'm finding that I can see the water coming through the bottom of the boat as it goes over the waves.......so I thought, I'd raise the boat a little, as it was sitting a little low.....but then when I hit playback, the boat snaps to it's original position and the previous change I made doesn't remain permanent......how do I get around this...?

Sorry, a bit long winded, but any help would be appreciated.

# 2 28-08-2003 , 10:58 AM
wait....I fixed it....carry on.

# 3 29-08-2003 , 10:31 PM
I haven't done the tutorial, but I'm guessing that either...

there are keyframes on the boat (you can remove them in the Windows > Animation Editors > Graph Editor, make sure the boat is selected),

or

there is gravity on the boat to force is to follow the contours of the water. I'd try amking the base of your boat thicker.

Good luck.

# 4 30-08-2003 , 07:33 AM
i did it long time ago but i think that i remember it created a locator that followed the contours of the displaced ocean and then drives the boat, you can offset the position of the boat relative to the locator to make it navigate al lil higher