Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-05-2012 , 07:42 PM

Move pivot to mouse cursor

Hello!

I try to learn MEL, but it`s too hard for me to now.
I think it`s simple but very useful script and i can`t find it in google.
Can you help me please?

# 2 01-05-2012 , 11:11 PM
The thin red line
You dont need a script for this just press the "insert" key on your key board then move the pivet point.............dave

# 3 02-05-2012 , 05:51 AM
Technical Director
Hi Kamagi, it's pretty simple, but there's a problem. The cursor's position is in 2d space, while the pivot point is in 3d. Therefore you can't really know what the depth (into the screen) should be. If you're doing this in the orthographic views, it's fine, but it gets a bit trickier otherwise.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 02-05-2012 , 05:52 AM
daverave: I offen use orthographic views and when its big object with zooming i need zoom out or change my view, find pivot, press insert, cutch pivot, move it in place i need (again zoom and move), press insert again and only after that steps a can move my object. To many steps. If i press, well, CTRL+Insert and pivot selected object move to my mouse point its quick and easier, i suppose. Command like "center pivot".

NextDesign: You right. For now i don`t know how it realize in 3d view, but in ortho be enough user added image

Last edited by kamagi; 02-05-2012 at 05:59 AM.
# 5 02-05-2012 , 06:28 AM
Lifetime Member
I know this isnt a solution...as I move pivot all the time. Everyone uses the 'insert' key...but I dont know why...it is much quicker to hold 'D' key then either 'X' or 'V' to snap a new pivot. Maybe its just me but it is a lot easier than trekking across the keyboard to 'insert'...or am I getting this wrong?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 02-05-2012 , 06:40 AM
Technical Director
It's 2:40 am here, so I need to get some sleep, but I'll post up some code later today that will help you out.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 02-05-2012 , 11:53 AM
EduSciVis-er
You're right bullet, holding d is much faster, but a script would be only too cool.