Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 21-11-2003 , 02:31 AM

"BAMF-like" X-MEN NIGHTCRAWLER effect how-to

Hi all, Rage here with another tempting morseluser added image

Vectorman has asked this question of me tonight, and since his PM-box was full, I thought it appropriate to post my reply here for all to learn from, and to submit other techniques as well!

Here is his quoted PM question to me:

hey rage, its vec, someone over at another site had asked about the nighcrawler "bamf" effect when he disintegrates and how to do it. I'd remember hearing you say something about figuring it out, and even if not you'd still be the person to ask, i searched the effects forum and i coudln't find a thread on it, so if you had any input i'm sure this guy would appreciate it.

My reply is below:

Sureuser added image

Ingredients:

-1 plate of the person/object moving.
-1 clean Background plate.
-1 cup of a roto'd sequence of the first plate for maya. (unless it was a green/blue-screen shot already complete with a processed alpha.
-Optional:
A "Locked-off" camera for the shot to work, or some tracking will need to be done to get the plates to match.
...unless they have acess to a motion-control rig in which case, nevermind meuser added image

RECIPE:

1. Apply the Roto'd live-action footage to a 2d Fluid container in Maya, and using the alpha info, you can effect the footage directly, and/or emit fluids from that alpha area.

2. Spend some time-consuming hours/days getting the fluidic-"Bamf-like"-animation and shading/color to the fluids.

3. Render out separate plates of the character/object being fluid-ized, and one plate of the fluids being emitted from the alpha area.

4. Play with those plates in a compositor to get a seamless blend/timing of the overall effectuser added image

5. Fade that effect away to taste revealing the matched BG plate.

6. Pay us some hefty cash! hehe...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 2 21-11-2003 , 02:41 AM

More:

Obviously, that was the "quick-and-dirty" way to approach this type of shot, but that is what this forum is for.

Lets hear any other ideas that could help others attempting this kind of shot in the future.

I'll start:

- If you watch the effect in the movie, you'll note that it happens REALY FAST!
This means that you only need to animate the effect in Maya to a small handfull of frames.

-Also take note of HOW the effect looked.
(see attachment below)
(also thanks to whoever sent this to me a while back!)

Next!

Attached Images

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 11-01-2004 , 02:33 AM
Subscriber
OMG i'm a moron, i never even saw this! Hahaha um, lemme link my friend over here from vfxtalk. THANKS IZZY!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 4 11-01-2004 , 03:05 AM
Subscriber
nice one rage. its so simple. When I first saw that in X2 I thought the VFXshot was more expensive than that. but when I look at it slowed down I can see easy how that "quick and dirty" way you posted would work...

# 5 12-01-2004 , 12:16 AM
Subscriber
just thought i'd mention a lil something, if you go out and rent/buy the x2 dvd, one of the behind the scenes documentary deals actually had quite a lot of info about the "bamf" info about the particle system for the smoke and the colors used during that flash of gold color.

The only constant is change...
# 6 08-09-2004 , 01:26 PM
@ragecgi:
Do you have made an animation with your technique? If yes, I would really appreciate if you could give me a link where I can watch it.

CU morpher