Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-01-2007 , 09:01 PM

peeling edges with displacement maps

I am experimenting a bit with displacement maps, and I am having a bit of a problem with the corners. In another thread I mentioned a tower I'm working on - here is the same model but with a displacement map. It looks ok for most of it, but as you can see, on the corners of the doors, it's just peeling the edges apart and leaving a gap. This is particularly obvious for the windowsill over on the left. Is there any other way to solve this other than ensure that the displacement maps are black (i.e. no displacement) on the corners?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-01-2007 , 08:09 AM
For me I would try to give it some colour in those areas (I.e not totaly black in the areas) just to see if that works, as you've got no displacement there (as you said) so its just ignoring those areas and keeping them as they were.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 29-01-2007 , 08:47 AM
I think the problem is that there is displacement on the corners (sorry I wasn't clear enough) I think I will just blacken the edges on the displacement map. Fortunately I am doing all this in photoshop with lots of layers (one for each brick) so I can adjust things as I like there.

# 4 31-01-2007 , 05:50 AM
While blackening the edges of the displacement map seemed to work for the door, I am really having a problem with the ramparts. I have carefully gone over this edge in the map in photoshop with a round 10pixel brush and saved it as a bitmap, then gone into the UV editor and made sure the 2 lines describing that chamfer in the middle are right in the middle of the thick black line, but still I get splitting along the edge. is there something I am overlooking in displacement maps... some way to get the edges to stay joined together perhaps?

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 31-01-2007 , 07:40 AM
just solved it. The problem is lack of geometry.