Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 17-05-2007 , 05:50 AM

Full Sail vs. Junior College!?

Ok the choices in life are upon me, however since I cannot seem to figure out what I want to do I am coming to you guys for advice.

Option #1 Get a loan for around 100k dollars to go to florida and attend the Full Sail Computer Animation Bachelors Degree program. Try to find a good job to pay back my loans..

Option #2 Go to TJC (Tyler Junior College), they are starting a game development degree this year so I registered for that, Now my deadline for the payment is coming up if I want to start in the summer. So I could get my associates here and continue working while going to school get my associates in game dev, then try to attend Full Sail after saving money for two years to live off of for awhile.

I just don't know what to do deadlines are creeping up on me and I have not made a decision. Please help with advice or experiences.

I am passionate about game design and graphics, I hear you have to love math to do game development, I like math but love may be pushing it.. as far as graphics this would be my strong point however, I cannot draw on paper like I probably should.

And does having a degree really make a ton of difference in the industry? I mean I could just skip school all together and learn from book after book .. Please help!

Thanks
Robert

Newbie to Pro in 21 days
# 2 17-05-2007 , 09:18 AM
I know what you mean, I'm pretty much in the same boat. It's hard to make a decision, not knowing the outcome...

If you're really, really passionate about game-design, go for it. Get yourself a loan and be the best possible.

However, I'm probably going to take a year off when I graduate this year and focus on learning Maya and other packages. I feel that there could be a chance that I don't want to do that for a living, and I'd rather find out while losing a year then spending 100k and finding out...

The only advice I can give you is this, forget about deadlines. If you're not completely sure about what you want, take some more time to figure out. Get a fairly paying job somewhere, enjoy your free time and figure out what you want.

I also believe that, even though college degrees are a great asset, the only people that get great jobs are those that are really skilled. Now you do learn those skills in college, but buying tutorials from simplymaya/digital tutors/gnomon/lynda/total training can get you really far as well.

Last edited by IJke; 17-05-2007 at 09:21 AM.
# 3 17-05-2007 , 09:27 AM
The Maya Mountain
I've never been to Full Sail, so I don't know, but 100k seems awfully expensive. Way over priced. And just based on what I've heard, it's no better than most other schools offering such courses.

*shrug*

# 4 17-05-2007 , 05:41 PM
it's actually 63k for the tuition however you are expected to not work while your in the 21 months, Mostly because of the 40 hours a week school schedule, and your also required in some labs to be there at 2 am to 5 am (they do this to get you ready for the industry cause it's not 9-5..)

I don't know.. I think I have decided to stick around for my associates.. that never hurts to have under my belt. and my job I currently have is paying me 14 an hour, I am still living at home, I need to buy a new car cause mine is starting to go.. I just don't feel like I can do it just yet.. So I have a little more time to think about fullsail and to work with maya. Cheers to your posts very good points and helpful.

Newbie to Pro in 21 days
# 5 17-05-2007 , 05:44 PM
BTW Mike love the books ! great work!

Newbie to Pro in 21 days
# 6 18-05-2007 , 07:39 AM
Subscriber
100k.. hats off to larry.

no, save the money, take the game dev and in between time make the beatiful tutorials on this page. in tzhe end you'll save alot of money and will to the same.

the only thing they can offer you is concentrating on your work and like mike said there are cheaper courses.

better take additional art classes, that would be useful.