Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 31 07-10-2010 , 04:33 AM
Subscriber
I updated quite a bit of things tonight. redid the mouth. made the eyes a tiny bit smaller. change the countour of the cheek just a tad. I also worked on the eyebrows. I only did the one looking at the camera. I'll do the other one tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails
# 32 08-10-2010 , 01:48 AM
Subscriber
Hi All, some minor tweaks to the eyes and mouth and hair. Lighting is temporary in this version, but i wanted to show the hair with a lighter background for cc.

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 08-10-2010 , 11:32 AM
Subscriber
This looks really nice Minstrel

# 34 08-10-2010 , 01:40 PM
The thin red line
Hi Minstrel
That is looking a lot better, the hair is OK but if you want the hair to look like your original referance you would need to assigne hair systems to curves (still shot) its not has hard as it sounds. Also you should start looking at textures and maybe fast skin shader (not that easy to set up).........hope that helps........dave

# 35 08-10-2010 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber
Thx Guys

Dave: I'm using 4 hair systems on the front, and 2 on the back. There is a low layer of thicker hair, a top layer of finer hair, a finer hair system for the edges, and a fourth hair system for the side burns. Those front hair stop at the head piece and the hair systems for the back start there. Those back hair systems are thicker hairs than the front ones. Doing it this way I used fewer and shorter hairs.

I also only did half the head. There is no hair on the side you can't see hair. Doing it this way is the only way I could render with FG without my computer crashing.

I used one separate scalp for each hair system.

The eyebrows have two hair systems each.

Eye lashes are polys.

I am going to model a simple shirt as well.

Agai, thx for feedback

# 36 08-10-2010 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber
here is the same as above with FG turned on.

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 09-10-2010 , 12:54 AM
The Nurb Herd
i'm no expert but to me this looks like the best hair i've seen on these forums.............................dom.

# 38 09-10-2010 , 01:14 AM
Subscriber
I'm slightly wondering the same thing. Is it just a texture? There was a guy here a while ago, who was making a roman soldier- type model. I think Jay spoke to him....I guess he would know who I mean, and that has been the closest kind of work that has been on these forums for a while.

# 39 11-10-2010 , 05:38 PM
Subscriber
Hi Guys, no textures. That Roman guy was cool. I was never happy with the armor shader. Some day i'll revisit that. I am surprised you remember.

Here is a little progress on the torso. I am blocking out the shirt and the tank top underneath. I continue to play with the face as I notice things. The camera angle is slightly changed too.

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 16-10-2010 , 02:38 AM
Subscriber
I have been tweaking the face and the mouth. I am not convinced about the nose yet.

Attached Thumbnails
# 41 15-01-2011 , 06:21 PM
Subscriber
i havent touched this in a while but wanted to leave the last version i had done for reference

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Minstrel; 15-01-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: wrong image attached
# 42 15-01-2011 , 09:35 PM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
I think the face looks fine. Its got nice forms and it has a realistic feel to it. I'm not sure about the hair tho, I would redesign it if it was me Personally. Everything else looks fine. Looking forward to the texturing bit

level 3 luchador!

image dump