Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 28-10-2010 , 04:39 PM
Subscriber

silly vertex trick

Hey Guys.

I was thinking if it is an opposite button of Merge vertex.

For example
I selected 1 vertex & I want to split it like the "black"highlighted one

Is there a button for this?

No problem solving this another way..i was just curious...

cheers

Attached Images
# 2 28-10-2010 , 05:58 PM
With the vertex selected press the shift button and the right mouse button and a menu will pop up. One of the options will be "Split Vertex".

By the way two polygons connected by a single vertex is one of the forms of non-manifold geometry. As such you could also correct this by selecting mesh>mesh cleanup... and then going to the remove geometry section and ensure that "non-manifold geometry" is checked. This should automatically split that vertex.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 28-10-2010 at 06:01 PM.
# 3 28-10-2010 , 10:42 PM
Subscriber
very nice user added image

Thanks a lot, working good!

split vertex. never seen before. Is it possible that it is not under the polygon menu??
In maya you can find every command in minimum 3 different places user added image
like menu, icon, mouse+key commands like this

Originally posted by ctbram
With the vertex selected press the shift button and the right mouse button and a menu will pop up. One of the options will be "Split Vertex".

By the way two polygons connected by a single vertex is one of the forms of non-manifold geometry. As such you could also correct this by selecting mesh>mesh cleanup... and then going to the remove geometry section and ensure that "non-manifold geometry" is checked. This should automatically split that vertex.

# 4 29-10-2010 , 01:01 AM
Lifetime Member
THANKS ctbram!!! I didnt know that one, I dont get that far into the key menus...bloody little ripper you are.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 30-10-2010 , 01:16 PM
Thanks.

Just a note - The menu that pops up when you hold shift and right click is the "context menu" and will be different depending on the component you have selected.

Some of these context menu items do not show up with the same name in the normal poly modeling (now called mesh ...lets out a sigh in anger...) menu.

For instance "split vertex" in the conext menu is equivalent to "mesh edit>detach components".

I could now get on my soap box and rant for 40 minutes about why I dislike the name changes autodesk made in an attempt to impose 3dsmax nomenclature onto maya.

I will always prefer "polygon" instead of "mesh" and "nurbs" instead of "surface".

However, the context names not matching the normal poly edit names I cannot really complain to much about. They differ for a logical reason in that you would have multiple poly edit menu items that all do the same thing just on different components so the poly edit menu items are "general" and the context menu items are specific.

However, they should make an attempt to use the SAME verb as the context menu like component SPLIT and component MERGE instead of DETACH and CONNECT.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 30-10-2010 at 01:21 PM.
# 6 30-10-2010 , 01:22 PM
Lifetime Member
Being a Surveyor....sorry mate...but mesh and surface link to my mind...LOL..terms I use at work.

cheers Ant

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 30-10-2010 , 02:42 PM
I guess it depends on when you started using maya.

In maya pre-version 8 polygon menu was called .... you guessed it "polygons" and nurbs menu nurb called "nurbs".

But then in version 8 the polygon menu changed to "mesh" and the nurbs menu changed to "surface".

Okay but they did not change ALL the nouns to mesh and surface so you have "mesh" and "polygon" as well as "nurbs" and "surface" are used all willy nilly in the current release! That is my complaint!

If they want to change the nomenclature then they should do it consistently!

It's like the context menu using the verb "split" and the general menu using the verb "detach". How many people did not know that "split vertex" == "detach component". You'd have a better clue if they changed it to "split component" RIGHT?

Same with the noun polygon, if you want to change it to mesh then use MESH everywhere! However, in my opinion, polygon and nurb are more context accurate and should not have been changed.

Last edited by ctbram; 30-10-2010 at 03:21 PM.
# 8 30-10-2010 , 04:05 PM
Subscriber
agree with you user added image
Earlier i tryed to find the split vertex thing with find menü ... now i see what was the problem. They should name the same way user added image

Originally posted by ctbram
Thanks.

Just a note - The menu that pops up when you hold shift and right click is the "context menu" and will be different depending on the component you have selected.

Some of these context menu items do not show up with the same name in the normal poly modeling (now called mesh ...lets out a sigh in anger...) menu.

For instance "split vertex" in the conext menu is equivalent to "mesh edit>detach components".

I could now get on my soap box and rant for 40 minutes about why I dislike the name changes autodesk made in an attempt to impose 3dsmax nomenclature onto maya.

I will always prefer "polygon" instead of "mesh" and "nurbs" instead of "surface".

However, the context names not matching the normal poly edit names I cannot really complain to much about. They differ for a logical reason in that you would have multiple poly edit menu items that all do the same thing just on different components so the poly edit menu items are "general" and the context menu items are specific.

However, they should make an attempt to use the SAME verb as the context menu like component SPLIT and component MERGE instead of DETACH and CONNECT.