Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 19-10-2011 , 03:47 AM

New Member at SM and a new User of Maya

Hello there, I'm Papabear, I am a student currently taking up BS Computer Science my course was focusing on software engineering and I don't want to stick on that as I want to become a competent Computer Scientist and finding out some more things that I can do in computer, Recently I was into watching 3D Movies, Show Reels in youtube and game development and I saw how maya works and I would say.. "I want to learn it"
I have a dream of becomming a game developer and I think forums would help me learn the basics and so many things about maya, I searched on google and found this one, as this is the most popular one that I've seen user added image. So guys I hope that I could find Friends in here that would help me accomplish my dream and to learn maya, but first I need to start from the basic, anyone can give me a link for a tutorial of the basic controls and navigation of maya ? I'm using the version 2010.

Thank you in advance user added imageuser added image

# 2 19-10-2011 , 04:46 AM
Lifetime Member
Welcome to SM..you have come to the right place since we love to help beginners. For the basic controls see the tutorials movies that are shipped with Maya, then i would suggest you work your way through the help file tutorials as this will give a good general idea of what the tools are and can do.
There are also some free tutorials here that would be useful to you once you have a basic understanding of the tool set.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 19-10-2011 , 05:02 AM
I got maya through their student program and downloaded it for free, the package includes maya 2010, maya documentation, autodesk matchmover, autodesk toxik, and autodesk backburner, maybe I could go look into the documentation for basics.. thank you user added image

Edit:

ow I found the quickstart tutorial user added image thank you

Last edited by papabear550; 19-10-2011 at 05:11 AM.
# 4 19-10-2011 , 07:30 AM
Senior Software Developer
Papabear. Welcome to Simply Maya. As Js said follow the maya in-house tutorials first, you will have less issues later doing other peoples tutorials once you understand those basics.

I too got into maya because of the "I want to learn that" attitude, but mine was a rather different story. I got into CGI because of 1 game, Half-Life 2. I started off in SoftImage, which was the app used by valve to create the assets for the game and after about 6 months switched to maya.

publicFunction (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 19-10-2011 , 10:36 AM

Papabear. Welcome to Simply Maya. As Js said follow the maya in-house tutorials first, you will have less issues later doing other peoples tutorials once you understand those basics.

I too got into maya because of the "I want to learn that" attitude, but mine was a rather different story. I got into CGI because of 1 game, Half-Life 2. I started off in SoftImage, which was the app used by valve to create the assets for the game and after about 6 months switched to maya.

publicFunction (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea! 3D games, 3D animations and 3D modeling is something that makes me feel so excited, user added image thank you for the warm welcome, I once got addicted in that game Half Life then Counter Strike ^_^

# 6 19-10-2011 , 05:50 PM
Welcome Papabear.

I'm also new at Maya, but gaining solid ground with allot, and I mean A-LOT of commitment. Best of luck. It's a real love affair with this program. Be ready to eat breath and sleep it. it becomes as addictive as a crazy but extremely hot ex-girlfriend that you can't stay away from no matter how many times she throws pots and pans at you.

Because nobody throws those kinds of pots and pans. Nobody.
user added image
"Maya...driving artists insane since 1998."
user added image

Last edited by TravisCowsill; 19-10-2011 at 05:53 PM.
# 7 19-10-2011 , 10:37 PM

Welcome Papabear.

I'm also new at Maya, but gaining solid ground with allot, and I mean A-LOT of commitment. Best of luck. It's a real love affair with this program. Be ready to eat breath and sleep it. it becomes as addictive as a crazy but extremely hot ex-girlfriend that you can't stay away from no matter how many times she throws pots and pans at you.

Because nobody throws those kinds of pots and pans. Nobody.
user added image
"Maya...driving artists insane since 1998."
user added image

yea.. I started creating my first 3D objects like swords, balloons and I need more practice user added image and I'll agree with you, after I finished something even if it wasn't good, it makes me very happy and excited to do more user added image thank you for the welcome user added image