Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-09-2014 , 06:17 AM

Renderfarm set up

HI,

a friend has asked me for some help in building a render farm of about 3 to 5 units to cater to 5 work stations.. Can anyone help me pls? any suggestions?

Thanks!

# 2 21-09-2014 , 05:43 PM
EduSciVis-er
Hmm... that's a pretty general request for help. Do you have a specific question? Perhaps you might need to tell your friend you don't have the experience to support him/her?

# 3 22-09-2014 , 02:36 PM
oh sorry. well what I was asking really was a set up for the machines like, what type of video card do I need, and/or if its ok to have render farm machines running on core i5s only. more of a general advice on hardware...

thanks for your time...
user added image

# 4 22-09-2014 , 02:42 PM
EduSciVis-er
Really any computer or group of computers can function as a render farm. Most renderers currently function off the CPU, so CPU and RAM are really the main specs to worry about. Graphics card type will be pretty much irrelevant as you aren't running any displays on a render farm. Yes, i5s will be fine, but more powerful processors will be better. Look for the most cores at the highest clockspeeds for your budget. That's my general advice.

# 5 22-09-2014 , 04:09 PM
Thanks a lot!!! really appreciated. user added image

# 6 09-10-2014 , 11:50 AM
It's not much of an issue but more of an enquiry; I have Maya 2015 and everything -so far, as I am still a noob- is going great, except for when I put a camera in a scene, even an empty scene, and move it around then deselect and re-select the camera again, Maya 2015 just simply crashes completely with no error messages.

# 7 13-10-2014 , 05:44 PM
does it happen when you're looking through that cam you put or even when you're in the default cams?