Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-02-2004 , 03:03 AM
Banned

Points at absolute X for mirroring...

While I may still be pretty new to maya, I have spent a decently long time up and perfecting a model. Foolishly, after smoothing my model once, I deleted half of the faces, when at the time, I did not realize I had changed some of the vertices x values. Now I cannot seem to be able to move them all back to 0 x without moving one at a time.

I tried fooling around with the abs tool, but it will moves all points to 0 x but on y and z it goes to the pivot point. Much help would be appreciated.

# 2 19-02-2004 , 04:48 AM
Subscriber
if the vertices are all at the exact same X you can select all of them that you want to move and snap them to the 0x. If they are different values you have to do this one at a time to get them exactly on 0.

# 3 19-02-2004 , 06:42 AM
Banned
Alright thanks for that. Now I have an even larger problem. My mirrored copies no longer have any tangency where they meet. This has left a large line that goes all the way around my model. Is there an easy way to remove this line, or must I go to the second row of vertices and move them one by one untill the line is no longer visable?

# 4 19-02-2004 , 02:07 PM
The Maya Mountain
With nurbs, usually the 2nd row needs to be aligned with the first. Kinda annoying, I know.

# 5 19-02-2004 , 11:16 PM
Banned
Yeah, that's one of the problems though, it's a poly model. Any suggestions?

# 6 20-02-2004 , 03:16 AM
The Maya Mountain
Oh, ok. If the two halves are combined, check the normals. It might help to turn on Backface Culling in your viewports Shading menu.

If half of your model's normals are reversed, use Edit Polys > Normals > Conform. This will make all the normals point the same direction. If it makes all the normals point the wrong way, simply reverse them using the Reverse command in the same menu.

After that, you can soften the edges, also in the same menu.

# 7 20-02-2004 , 03:42 PM
Subscriber
are you going to smooth after the mirror ?