Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-11-2004 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber

kurt and mtmckinley

kurt and mtmckinley i really need to interview you 2 because i have a paper due thursday. i would absolutely appreciate it if you all could answer these questions for me.

questions:

1. Why did you choose this career?
2. What are some of the advantages to this career?
3. What are some of the disadvantages to this career?
4. Is the salary good for the job?
5. How many hours per week do you work?
6. Is this job stressful?
7. Retirement- Is there a package?
8. Is there advancements?

# 2 02-11-2004 , 07:04 PM
The Maya Mountain
No problem.

I'm a 3D Artist at a video game studio.

It's fun! It's making games afterall. While it's definitely hard work, it's work I enjoy.

For one thing, it's creative. You create art and get to enjoy the satisfaction of creating something other people will enjoy as entertainment. As mentioned before, it's a fun environment most of the time.

The game industry is very young. It's only really been around since the late 70s, early 80s. As such, the industry is still very volatile. You're lucky to work at the same studio for 5 years or more. In fact, I'd say the average studio stint is maybe 2-3 years. Lots of contributing factors go into that... For example, let's say the game your studio makes doesn't do well, and they don't have a new one lined up already, a studio could very well falter and disband. On the other hand, if a game does really well, it's likely a sequal would be made... Some people really don't want to keep making the same thing over and over and may leave a studio because of it. That kind of thing.

One of the more common situations, however, is the ramp up and the ramp down periods of a game's development. To meet deadlines, a studio may "ramp up" their staff to 50% more or even double the size to get the man-power. Once the game nears completion, they'll "ramp-down"... which means letting people go. It's important to try to make a good impression during such periods as it's very likely a couple people hired on during ramp-up may be chosen to stay on after ramp-down or be hired on again later. I was one of such lucky few. user added image

I think so. That's coming from a single guy with no dependants though. I couldn't imagine a family man doing very well on my same salary. That's one reason I think it's probably best to get in as early as you can. When you're young and single, you have the flexibility of making moderate salaries and surviving comfortably. As you grow older and work your way up the ladder, your income grows as does your ability to support others. That's just my opinion, though.

It varies. Your normal work week is your standard 8-9 hour days with Saturday and Sunday off. However, when deadlines are fast approaching, overtime can be pretty daunting... what was 8-9 hours balloons to 12-15 hours or more, including weekends.

I've been at work until midnight before, but I know of people who bring in cots to the office!

It's as stressful as you make it. If you meet deadlines and goals, it can be pretty easy-going. And if your studio is able to keep the game projects coming and keeping the studio secure, it's also not too bad. The most stress probably comes from the volatile nature of the industry. Once a game is completed, what's next? That can be fairly stressful.

You know, I really don't think so. Mostly because of how young the industry is. The majority of people in the industry... the VAST majority, I'd say... are far below retirement age. Plus, because of the volatile nature, it seems most older folks (40+) tend to drop out of games and go on to more stable industries, like television or commercials. I'd say 90% of the game industry are people in their 20s-30s.

Plus, it's like a painter... a professional painter doesn't usually retire. They keep painting until they die or are just not able to go on physically. Obviously, because of the volatile nature of the industry, people may choose to leave it, but if you enjoy your work... would you want to retire?

If you mean, room for promotion, then yes, definitely. It can depend on where you work, though. At a smaller company, there's probably more chances then larger ones. I'm at a smaller studio, for example. I've been here almost 2 years. It's very likely I'll be made a Lead Artist on our next project. Mostly because I've been here longest. Because it's rare for people to stay in one studio for an extended period of time, advancement can be made more difficult. Afterall, you're more likely to promote someone within your staff then the "new guy" so if you're hopping from studio-to-studio every year, advancement may be slow going.

# 3 02-11-2004 , 08:21 PM
I'm a freelance 3D artist.

I choose this career because I found that it really let me develope my creativity more then drawing or painting did for me before I got hit with the 3D bug. Also, it's the type of field that, for me, doesn't seem like real work. Like Mike said it's just too much fun.

The advantages for me right now is that I can work at home, which is great. I can run out if I need a book or toy for reference for a project and not have to worry about missing work. It lets me spend more time with my wife as well.

Disavantages, would be like Mike said, hard to find a job that you can stay at for a long period of time. especially if you're freelance. You will have times where your working a lot and then have a lot of down time as well.

Yes... right now I can't complain. My wage is good and I am able to start planning for the furture more as far as a house and thinking about having little ones. As well as having two great bosses to work for.

Right now it changes abit from week to week.. most weeks it's about 30 to 35 hours. It depends on what stage of a project I'm at. Also when I'm at home on the weekends I'm usually working when nothing is going on.

I've had a few projects that I've worked 15 hours straight on.

Yes, it sure can be every once in a while. I run into spots that just want to complicate things, and it takes a lot longer then you anticipate. Those times are the worse times for me as far as stress goes. Also right now I'm trying to learn a new 3d program that is a bit stressful for me because of the way I learn things. I have a type of dyslexsia that make it hard to under stand written words which makes it very hard for me to follow along with books. I learn better by watching and can't find too many visual aids. I'll just keep pluging away and with the help of my wife I'm getting better at it.

Not really, since I'm freelance I pretty much own my own small business so I make sure I save extra for paying into a pension each year.

Again since I'm freelance not really too much as far as going from artist to art director or things like that, but there is always chances that freelance will work its way into studios where I would be in the type of situation where I can move up.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 02-11-2004 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
thank u 2 very much for responging. i really appreciate it.

# 5 03-11-2004 , 07:37 AM
Subscriber
good interview!! user added image

# 6 03-11-2004 , 01:17 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by Kurt
As well as having two great bosses to work for.

well 1 at least (hey dave) :p