Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-05-2006 , 01:39 AM

Zbrush question

i have a question about zbrush, i have painted a texture onto a model, without using projection master, i have it on the model, but it is not in the texture tab thing. i cant export the texture!, help!

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 2 10-05-2006 , 01:43 AM
i have it in MTL format, but it wont import to maya,

www.joopson.com
# 3 10-05-2006 , 03:06 AM
Subscriber
mtl only hold info like shading, texture paths etc for the actual obj file.
its not the texture.

if you created your texture, it should be in the texture palette

# 4 10-05-2006 , 09:18 PM
well, i painted it without creating a new texture, but it is on the model, so i am very annoyed by it user added image

www.joopson.com
# 5 10-05-2006 , 09:23 PM
heres a pic

Attached Thumbnails

www.joopson.com
# 6 10-05-2006 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
i have a lot of problems like that with zbrush also, i think you need to put a clear texture on before you paint in order to recover it.

the one thing that pisses me off about zbrush is that it feels like an amature started it and someone just started adding things that everyone can use after the fact.

Usefull, none the less though. cant live without it now. Displacement maps have never been so good.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 7 14-05-2006 , 09:36 AM
hey joopson...you'll have to go under the texture menu....set the resolution for the texture (looks like 1024 x 1024 would be ok for your model)...and click create. The default color will be whatever its set to in the color pallette.

To export it to maya, go under the texure menu and just choose export and save as a .tiff or .psd. Before exporting to maya, you should always click on the flip horizontal button (in Zbrush) or it will show up inverted in Maya (you can flip it in Maya on the place 2d node...the v direction, but I always just do it in Zbrush)

# 8 14-05-2006 , 03:39 PM
darn, it didnt work, it only turns the model white user added image

www.joopson.com
# 9 14-05-2006 , 05:25 PM
When you create a new texture you should loose all things that you painted now.. as you can see it says now no texture, perhaps you can do it with guv or auv tiles but im not sure can't test it now under x64 user added image

# 10 14-05-2006 , 06:37 PM
If you see the white texture in the texture box now, and you're painting not with projections master and its not updating the texture.... to force it to update it....click projection master > drop it > than immediately click projection master again to pick it up...the texture should now show the colors.