Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 06-05-2009 , 01:42 AM
SM Tea Boy

New Tutorial

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 2 06-05-2009 , 05:36 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
well its looking sexy here!!

cheers Dave

Jay

# 3 12-05-2009 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
who is responsible for inciting this sort of violence..user added image looks very cool..Jay??

no texture?? i thought that would be a very interesting addition to the tut.., gun metal!! gun plastic, very interesting! mai-X ??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 12-05-2009 , 09:16 AM
LOL well Dave is the gun Merchant.

Yeah the real gun is made of Plastic. No need for too much MR shaders on this, I was going to but I figured I could do it with a blinn, still looks okay and there is a perlin noise bump added but the renders on the site dont do it much justice bing of a low res.

cheers
Jay

# 5 21-07-2009 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber
Hi Jay,

I recently purchased this off the site, working through it now. Nice to see a different approach to modeling this stuff... i've looked at other box modeling gun tuts before which ended up having tons of triangles. (usually the result of beveling edges to get creases going).

This is looking really clean so far having worked up towards part 4.

Well anyways, I noticed you're using some mel scripts to cut faces in half (by selecting edges)...not too dissimilar to selecting a row of faces (maya 2009) and using cut faces tool. But you mentioned you would provide the scripts 'on the dvd'... as far as I can tell I didn't get these with my download. I'm interested in checking these mel scripts out and wondered if you could maybe forward them to me. thanks.

regards

-Pallaris

# 6 21-07-2009 , 01:30 PM
Pallaris

Yeah sure, which ones scripts are they, cant remember off the top of my head.

The other tutes for this type of thing were most likely for games....

# 7 21-07-2009 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber
thanks for your reply.

Erm.. at one point you switch over to a tab named MJpolytools (a quick google tells me this is a collection of scripts for various processes - trouble is all the links i'm finding for it are dead).

You used one that creates an edge loop at central point of a selected edge (this is handy because in maya 2009 the only default options are cut faces tool which does something similar but you have to select the entire face loop for which to cut along first)

Another thing was cleaning up script based history. If you have the MJpolytools handy that would be good. At the moment i've been able to replicate everything comfortably but having a look at those scripts cant hurt. judging by your toolbar, i'm guessing you used to using a lot of custom scripts to speed up your workflow.

Well, those other tuts I referred weren't specifically game related i don't think...i'm saying this because there was smoothing applied, which because of the triangles resulted in quite a few pinches and glitchy areas were its not subdividing properly. I've only been using maya for 6 months so i'm fairly new to all this stuff...but as I understand it in games work there's no smooth applied, instead softening/hardening face/edge normals to varying degrees to give surfaces smooth like appearance. Is this true?

I probably want to end up in vfx/post...so detailed modeling techniques like this is what i'm interested in for the moment.

-P

# 8 21-07-2009 , 03:15 PM
Okay mate no probs

PM your mail me and I'll get those over to you tonight

J

# 9 21-07-2009 , 03:29 PM
SM Tea Boy
Here you go

Attached Files
File Type: rar mjpolytools.rar (7.3 KB, 235 views)

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 10 21-07-2009 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber
thank for you for the attachment. user added image Much appreciated.

P

# 11 21-07-2009 , 03:43 PM
David

has it got 'clean up.mel' in it though? did you get my mail btw?

J

# 12 21-07-2009 , 04:16 PM
Subscriber
Jay, not sure if you're addressing me there but no I didn't get an email or pm from you.

I've just got MJpolytools installed, thanks... no it doesn't have the cleanup.mel in it. quite handy to have. i'll PM you my email, if you have that cleanup script handy. thank you

regards

-P

# 13 21-07-2009 , 04:23 PM
Pallaris

lol no mate was talking to David, however just got your PM so will send script tonight

Jay

# 14 21-07-2009 , 04:26 PM
Subscriber
hah,

thanks man.

# 15 24-07-2009 , 12:18 PM
Subscriber
That ELS polytool script came in handy quite a bit in the end user added image

Thoroughly enjoyed the tutorial... learned a few bits and pieces.

My only gripe is the video quality. Resolution is fine but framerate could be better. In fact there were times when it couldn't keep up with the speed of your mouse Jay, so it was a case of trying to figure out what exactly you did cause the video wasn't quick enough to show it. The view port tumbling is also quite choppy because of this.

Also on part 15, around the 34min mark, an entire chunk is missing regarding the shaping of the eye sight. It went from extruding the thickness to having the entire piece finished in a split second. By this point I was able to figure out how to get it looking right - one bit I found tricky was shaping the circular cut out properly.... I found that using a Nurbs circle as a guide and moving those verts while in smooth did the trick.

Not a big deal to be honest...just saying. Anyways... good stuff. Looking forward to more of your work.

regards

-P