Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-04-2003 , 09:02 AM
Subscriber

April Challenge - Strarup - Noobie

Hi,

just thought I would start a thread... so I have something to kick myself in the behind with... so I can get something made... :-)

I don't know if I will get finished with it yet... but I will try to do my best...

first mission... find a subject... user added image

hmmm.... hell... hmmm... hell... yeah... my stepmother... user added image

user added image hell no... don't want to get nightmares... user added image

first mission still active... user added image

regards

Strarup

# 2 01-04-2003 , 09:27 AM
Kevin
my step mother LOL - yeah I hear that one mate, LOL

thx for entering mate

# 3 01-04-2003 , 10:07 AM
Subscriber
Hi Kevin,

yup... they sometimes can make ones life miserable... that was also why I first thought of her like the first candidate... I even think the devil would move out of hell if she would get down there... user added image

my drawing skills aren't that good but I have tried to sketch something... If I don't succeed with moddeling it, I will go hunting blueprints... but I will try to give it a chance and see were it will bring me... user added image

regards

Strarup

# 4 01-04-2003 , 10:12 AM
Kevin
nice concept, your old step mom sure is one mean looking dude user added image

# 5 01-04-2003 , 01:07 PM
Subscriber
Yup... real mean looking just like her beheaviours... user added image

I think I will call the creature "The Devil's Stepmom"... user added image

and if I get that far I properly have to learn how to play with fur if she is needing some hairy breast and a moustache... user added image

here's a little update... I have used a polyplane to start with... properly a wrong way to start... but just to get an basic idea how it will going to be in 3d... user added image

regards

Strarup

# 6 01-04-2003 , 01:49 PM
Have you tried the Hobbit Guys modelling way.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 7 02-04-2003 , 11:02 AM
Subscriber
Hi z1mmnd14,

nope had forgot that tutorial... but I will properly have a closer look at it... because it is quite difficult for me when I only have a front view... :-)

I have tried to do different stuff with it... extrude, pull abit here, push it a bit there and so on... but I'm not quite happy with it, so I may start overnew with it...

however thank you very much for the tip... user added image

what I have done so far is, that I duplicated the polyplane, extruded the duplicated one, and combined it with the other... and then pull, push, split, extrude... user added image

some of the screencaptures that I wanted to show, didn't make it very well... somehow the screencapture program thought it was better to take a picture of it self, instead of what I wanted it to take a picture of... user added image

regards

Strarup

# 8 02-04-2003 , 12:43 PM
Subscriber
aaarrrhhhhhh.... user added image user added image user added image

damn computer.... :mingun: if I had a hammer... I would hammer in the morning... I would hammer in the evening... I would hammer on my PC... and then throw it in the WC...

I think I will go back to the drawing board... user added image

regards

Strarup

# 9 02-04-2003 , 01:24 PM
Subscriber
Hi,

I went to the blueprint site, and got a blueprint of a male and a female, which I tried to combine... however I'm not quite happy about the results yet...

I do have some questions thou...

howmuch nakedness may there be?
how detailed may a woman sculpture be down there, if the model is going to be showed?
may I e.g. find someone to draw me "The Devils Stepmother" which I then can use as a blueprint/reference picture to model after? (my 2d drawning skills sux)

regards

Strarup

# 10 02-04-2003 , 05:06 PM
You could use the refreance drawing done by the Hobbit Guy (there of some gargoyle type thing) provided with the tutorial to get the rough shape of the head, then switch to your own monster drawing and modify the creature to that drawing.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 11 02-04-2003 , 10:23 PM
Here you go mate... not as detailed as my other stuff.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 12 02-04-2003 , 10:58 PM
Subscriber
Hi Kurt,

Thank you very very much... user added image

she's looking very nice... I will start on modelling her tomorrow... eh... later today... user added image

once again, thank you very much that you wanted to make a reference image for me... I really appreciate it... user added image

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 13 03-04-2003 , 07:30 AM
Subscriber
strarup.. lmao.. that refrence you drew.. that had a pretty big ass... lol, i just find it funny user added image.. BTW, if you were thinking of it, you may want to buy some points and watch mikes polyhead video, it would really help ya out. I know it did for me user added image. (this sounds like a infomercial) Anyways, lets see what ya get!

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 14 03-04-2003 , 08:58 AM
Subscriber
Hi Matt,

yup she has kind of a big one... user added image

I would love to buy the SimplyMaya Videos... unfortunately there might go some time before I can do it...

some months ago I took a big risk in life... I saw a heavenly light if you can call it that... and finally found out what I wanted to do...

I have some kind of computer Education... in danish called "Datamatiker" and I think in english it is called "Advanced Computer Studies"... when I was finish I spend some time on a danish help forum... but at the end of last year I got a bit tired of the atmosphere there... I also found I wanted to do something special... something with multimedia, I have made a bit music... played with video editing and so on... but then I found a company which worked with 3D among other things... and then the lightning hit me... user added image

I took a very big risk... and I still think my wife sometimes want to kill me for that... our economy isn't very well at the moment... there are 2 things I'm trying to save money for at the moment... a new graphic card since the old Geforce 256 doesn't have it that well, because the motherboard I had went kaput last year by literaly burning something off, and somehow the heat have done something to the card, that makes the computer crash very often... the second thing I'm also trying to save money for is the 3D festival which have more priority than the graphic card at the momemt... especially because of the Special event... -->
https://www.3dfestival.com/event_special.php

My wife says we don't have money for it... but I'm prepared to risk my life for it... user added image

actually it was also the meaning that I should have been to Canada this summer... my sister is getting Married over there... but with 2 kids and a bad economy, we are not going over there... but have to wait when there are getting over here a make their second wedding day... user added image

but when the economy is oki doki... and I have enough money for it... I will defitnately go buy the SimplyMaya Video's... but until then I have to stick with every free tutorial I can find... but it is going forward every day... user added image

I don't know much about 3d yet, but more about ASP, Java, Websites, Windows, Hardware, E-buisness, IS-Strategy, but that doesn't interest me as much as 3d and Maya does... that's why I'm trying so hard to learn, and try to getting better and better for every day which unfortunately quickly passes by... I have lots of ideas... which I only can imagine in my head, but can't make in maya yet...but for everyday which passes by I think I can do it in a while... user added image

regards

Strarup

Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 15 03-04-2003 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber
Hi,

I have started to work with the Image Kurt have made... user added image

regards

Strarup