Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 05-08-2003 , 03:19 AM

Attach surfaces or Align or start over?

HI everyone!

I have run into another delima here that I think is more frustrating becuase I know that everyhting is built correctly (Isoparms etc) but I can't get the surface to attach correctly without getting some crazy surface on drugs. I have to make a "water tight model" meaning everything must be solid.
I can however get the sides to attach properly but it is just the top (white) and the bottom of the peice that wont attach that give the surface thickness. Should I scrap this and extrude the surface instead of offset like it is? Mommmmmmmmy?

Check the pic

I am not giving up, I am slowly getting there
user added image

Best - Moff

Attached Images
# 2 05-08-2003 , 05:02 AM
The Maya Mountain
It has to do with the nature of Nurbs. There's a reason a primitive Nurbs cube is actually composed of 6 seperate nurbs planes.

For this kind of shape, you're best bet is polys. Otherwise, you'll have to leave it seperate pieces of geometry.

# 3 05-08-2003 , 09:42 AM
try to render it in mental ray. as long as the edges are touching and the surfaces are in the same group it will tessellate to look continuous (even if they are different surfaces)

or if that didnt worked
try seaming the edges instead of ataching.

# 4 05-08-2003 , 07:41 PM

hum

Dragon - it has to be water tight becuase it is going in an FDM machine....Seam do you mean stitch?

moff