Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-10-2003 , 11:37 AM

Basket

Hi,
I would to know if is possible create in Maya a Basket.
I would the "net" of the basket is moving when the ball cross the basket.Is it possible?

user added image

....Come on and r0x...
# 2 15-10-2003 , 11:41 AM
im sure you could make the basket be made of matierial... dunno if it'd look right tho... otherwise, you could set triggers, so when the ball passes through certain places in the net that the net expends to give way... *unsure of technical names of all i just said*

# 3 15-10-2003 , 04:57 PM
Subscriber
for the sake of uniformity, i would avoid making individual strings. Try looking into making a texture. allow the holes in the net to be the transparent areas of the texture.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 4 15-10-2003 , 06:56 PM
Iron tick has a good point.

If your goal is close-up, photo-real animation, the ideal thing would be for you to shoot a bunch of basket footage, and comp it.

However, if it "MUST" be done in Maya, check the docs in the dynamics section(s) for a term/tool called "Springs".

This "could" help you simulate the bouncy reactiveness of the net geometry as a start.

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 15-10-2003 , 07:02 PM
Almost forgot..

You could also make this rather simple to do in Maya, although a bit tedious to setup.

1. You could make your "net" curve extrusion geometry, but KEEP history on the curve for each string.

2. Select the source-curves' vertices, and make each vertice a cluster. (you will end up with a LOT I'm sure!)

3. Assign and/or paint goal weights to each cluster, so that as a collision (ball) object falls through it, each part of the net will react differently but remain together like a basket does.

Tune it a bit by adding a turbulence field to the basket clusters JUST after the ball object passes out the bottom of it.

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 6 28-10-2003 , 06:45 PM
Subscriber
yeah go heavy on dynamics dude, i totaly agree with racecgi.. could get little on your machine but depends on how heavy the simulation will be

# 7 08-11-2003 , 03:56 AM
How is it going?

Have you had any success as of yet?

or have you been too busy, like most of ususer added image

Good luck anyway!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com