Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-01-2004 , 10:02 AM

First WIP!

This is the first time for me to post my work on simplymaya... and its funny because this wasn't supposed to be a project at all.

My friend was talking to me about how he has been trying to model a head for weeks, and he just couldn't do it. So I opened up maya and was sorta playing around, showing how to mirror a cube, and build out from basic shapes instead of starting with a sphere with 50 divisions.

Anyway, I got as far as a basic eye socket... and just didn't stop. I didn't have any source images or anything, so I was just kindda messing around until I got to this point... I have begun to create some kind of tribal shaman or something.. . the ears aren't done, but I think its pretty good for my first attempt at a head, and without source images user added image

what do you think?

Attached Thumbnails

"On the other hand... the early worm gets eaten."
# 2 23-01-2004 , 10:04 AM
from an angle...

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 23-01-2004 , 11:45 AM
i wrote a reply and it was for some reason deleted... or misplaced or something...

Anyway, may i suggest you post a smoothed version with global illumination(GI_Joe).

You can get GI_Joe from www.highend3d.com or www.darkware.com. Simple to use and useful.

Other than that ide say it looks failry cartoony but if thats the look your going for then its okay, add some detail to the ear but as you said its not done yet. And the forehead should be higher up.. the eyes are too close to the top of the head.

# 4 23-01-2004 , 05:30 PM
ok, I got GI Joe and used it in this next render... thanks for the link! I knew that this thing existed, but I didn't know where to get it!

anyway, here is a smooth version with fancy Gi Joe lighting

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 23-01-2004 , 07:56 PM
Subscriber
Pretty cool, all the proportions and details are your own decision, but I'll post a few suggestions anyway.
I'd make the eyes slightly larger (compared to the huge eye sockets) and more spherical. I would also make the head a little less flat. You have quite alot of geometry in the base-mesh (the low poly one), it is wise to only insert new edges and detail when you need it to prevent the model from becoming increasingly heavy as SubD or Poly Smooth (2 iterations). It is not bad at all for a model without reference pics. Keep it up and get your friend to do one too. user added image

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.