Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 07-07-2015 , 07:58 PM
Subscriber

Shading, Lighting and Rendering the Bedroom in MR Problems

Hi Guys,

Well after spending a week doing the modelling the bedroom tutorial that Dave did I finally bought the Shading, Lighting and Rendering the Bedroom in MR. I have also got the Shading, Lighting and Rendering the Bedroom in VR but have swapped to maya 2016 as V-Ray isn't available for 2016 yet.

Anyways, I am having major issues following along, the stuff Dave changes isn't in the same place or doesn't exist in 2016

I am also having major performance issues when rendering a scene. so in this scene, I have all my stuff I created (apart from the couch which I stole from Daves set user added image )

I have setup 3 portal lights with settings of 15 in the portal node.
I also have a directional light as Dave does.

from the rendering settings menu I have chosen the preset of preview

Test11 took 8 mins 9 seconds with direct diffuse (Gi) Mode to off

Test12 took 29 mins 35 seconds with direct diffuse (GI) to finalgather

I wouldn't say my system is slow to be honest, its a custom system I have built that can play pretty much any game in 4k

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Myth

Attached Thumbnails

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1

Last edited by mythandra; 07-07-2015 at 08:01 PM.
# 2 07-07-2015 , 08:19 PM
SM Tea Boy
I'm just heading to bed right now but if you send me the scene dave@simplymaya.com I'll take a look see for you.

All the settings form 2015 and lower are there they are just in a different place. i'll cut together a short vid when i get back to the office.

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 08-07-2015 , 05:41 AM
Super Moderator
Some of those 2016 render settings have questionable defaults and the FG settings reset every time you switch from any other indirect illumination solution to FG :| and some controls are not dimming properly (which is concerning). It seems like the Indirect Diffuse Quality is a real heavy hitter too.

- Genny
# 4 08-07-2015 , 11:58 PM
SM Tea Boy

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 09-07-2015 , 07:07 AM
Subscriber
Many thanks for that Dave, makes a lot of sense. Ill buy you a pint or two if I ever get to Prague user added image

Cheers Myth

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1