Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-02-2005 , 02:04 AM

evil general

little character i threw together. really not happy at all with it so i think im gonna redo it. anyone know any good head modeling tutorials? so far ive just been taking a nurbs circle and adding isoparms but that tends to start out really nice for me but it ends up getting really really ugly and overly complicated. also the textures are 100% temporary just wanted to see a few things.

Attached Images
# 2 22-02-2005 , 05:09 PM
Subscriber
Yeh, you should re-do the head. Make sure to use pleanty of ref images aswell. As for head tutorials, Mikes poly head tut here on SM is very good in my opinion. You should check it out.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX

Last edited by RubberChicken; 22-02-2005 at 05:12 PM.
# 3 22-02-2005 , 05:55 PM
Subscriber

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 22-02-2005 , 07:36 PM
i have the first edition of that book, its just so damn thick and intimidating ive hardly looked at it. i think i will now though. totally forgot about it.

# 5 22-02-2005 , 07:55 PM
Subscriber
Hey, the only time you should be intimidated by book is when it's being thrown at you. :-0

# 6 22-02-2005 , 10:38 PM
restarted the model completely. i think this time im actually gonna spend some time on it. i started the eyes. any ideas on how to start the nose? i have no idea where to begin, and i dont really wanna model using polys id prefer to make a bunch of features and attach them.

Attached Images
# 7 22-02-2005 , 11:17 PM
Subscriber
You can either use nurb patches or poly edges. The head of the Thing model you looked at was edge modeled (numerouse edge extrusions and stitching). So far I prefer to use extruded poly edges in areas with lots of detail and the standard box modeling for more general shapes.

Nurbs are another matter entirely. I play with them, but I have yet to build a full model with them. check out Anita's WIP with marlon brando for an example of nurbs patch modeling.