Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 20-02-2006 , 07:10 PM
Subscriber

Tricky one I have been playing around with

As said in the title I have been trying to put togther a model based on the following image

user added image

I am finding it very hard to make a decent looking and not to over complex model. As you can hopefully see I'm looking to take a sphere and punch circular holes in it.

So far I have tried a nurbs curve projected onto a nurbs sphere, which looked good but didnt convert nicely as there were far too many unconnected CV's and isoparms.

I have also tried taking a boolean difference approach using a poly sphere and poly cylinder to 'punch' out the holes. This kinda worked ok, although there was a ton of work connecting the new vertices. In the end it didnt look that hot and I kind of gave up on the idea.

I would really like advice on the easiest way to do this as I have a nifty idea for a model based on this design, thank you!

# 2 20-02-2006 , 07:23 PM
I dont think I would model it, i'd just use a transparancy map.

You could use nurbs and fillets thought to do it

# 3 20-02-2006 , 07:39 PM
Subscriber
Yeah Nurbs and Fillet/Trim would be the way I'd do something like this...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 4 20-02-2006 , 08:11 PM
Subscriber
Ok, seems like you guys are in agreement with the fillet/trim, would that work under the following circumstance.....

I'm looking to extrude the circular edges out from the cut peices so I would end up with something that would look like an old WW2 shipping mine, or something in the attached photo. I looking for a really nice crisp line between the curve of the sphere and the jutting out of the pipe.

I know I could just have a curve and a pipe intersecting, but I dont think that would look to go really, or am I wrong?

Sorry for the poor ref pic btw, first one i could come up with in google user added image

Attached Images
# 5 20-02-2006 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
If you want a really sharp edge between the two there's no need to fillet them, but if you want just a slight curvature in the transition it's easily done with a circular fillet...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"