Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 18-09-2006 , 03:45 AM

Rotating in relation to a particles direction.

Hi there.

I have a polyplane that I would like to follow a particle.

I have done the following the pariticle bit, but now I need to rotate the polyplane acordingly.

What I want is the polyplane to orient toward where the particle will be in a moment. To be pointing where it is heading so to speak. Like an arrow.

I'm not sure but i think what I need to do is to take the particles velocity and use that information to derive the orientation.

But how is the math? And how is the MEL way?

Do I make sence or do I need to explain more?

Thank you.

# 2 21-09-2006 , 07:30 AM
if you are instancing geometry onto the particles then you have options there for which direction to point. Check that out.

it's all in the docs

A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 21-09-2006 , 01:08 PM
I'll bet you could set keyframes and do it manually.
Takes a bit of time.
Oh, and you can mess with the driven key stuff. Don't know where it is, but I know that'll fix it.
It alows you to move objects in relation to other objects.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 4 22-09-2006 , 02:15 AM
Em no you can do it manually with keyframes....are you mad?! user added image

particles are a simulation thus you wont know how many there will be etc etc. Do what I said with the instancer that should do it.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 22-09-2006 , 01:46 PM
I could use the instancer, but I need to have every instanced piece of geometry to bend and jiggle individualy. As far as I know, the instanced object can deform on a per instanced object basis.

I have worked around my problem thoug. I choose to shift the solution backwards a few frames. So what I did was this:

I know at every frame where my particles are at the moment. I then store these postitions on locaters, and compare this position 2 frames ahead. With these 2 positions I can now reduce everything to a mere orient constraint.

Thanks by the way.

# 6 22-09-2006 , 01:58 PM
You could have simply pointed your "arrow" down the X axis and then set the "aim direction" of your particle shape under the "instancer" section to velocity.

next time

# 7 18-10-2006 , 10:50 AM

mel

hi
I am interested in the same thing, since I am new here. I agree with your description of the process which also means a cross-section at any time which is the same as tomography used in a PET scan.
One expects then for PET scans and MEL rotation you descibe, that their mathematics is related to the Heisenberg theory called the uncertainty principle, from the 1930's.
I hope you find the help on your question.
Also good luck with maya .