Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-12-2002 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber

Problem with mirror

I hope someone can help my with my question:

When you mirror an object using the dublicate instance function (scale -1) it created double edges between the split...

Is it posible to make the mirror merge the edges, because the takes a lifetime merging af face with the merge polygon tool.

Thanks in advange.

Kühl

# 2 17-12-2002 , 11:10 PM
Duplicate is just duplicate. It just copies with or without instancing. For mirroring purposes do not use the instance option. Just do a straight copy with a -1 scale.

I'm assuming you're using polygons so after duplicating combine the halves with the Polygons -> Combine function. After that apply Edit Polygons -> Merge Multiple Edges with a small tolerance (something like 0.001). You can change the tolerance afterwards too. There should be an entry called polySewEdge1 in the inputs section of the channel box. Click on it and you'll see the tolerance setting there.

I'm not sure if this is in 4.0 but in 4.5 you could just use Polygons -> Mirror Geometry. That will do the necessary steps for mirroring. You still need to specify the axis and direction for the function in it's option box. It will create (among other things) a polyMergeVert1 node in the inputs and under that you will find a setting called distance. This is basically the same than the tolerance I described before.

Hope that makes any sense. It's quite late atm user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 18-12-2002 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber

Easy faces with polygons... ;-)

Thank you very much. That was exactly what i needed. And yes, I am using polygons, which I find most pleasant for modelling faces...

Afterwards, I found it useful to use the instance when modelling, and when I have my finished product, then delete the instance and then use the mirror function that you descreibed...

Thanks a lot.

Kühl

Kühl
# 4 20-12-2002 , 03:08 AM
Subscriber
yeah, that's the way i model - use instance, then replace it with the other mirror when you're done.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP