Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 28-11-2007 , 12:37 PM
Subscriber

General tidying up

I been making a building from a floor plan and for some walls I’ve used more than one polygon. I was wondering what the best way would be to line them up perfectly face-to-face other than doing it manually. Also is there also an easy way to then group all the polygons into one single mesh to move around and extrude easily. Does anyone know what that S is about in the top right of the picture

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 28-11-2007 , 01:03 PM
I think it would look cool if you shaded the polygons

# 3 28-11-2007 , 01:33 PM
Subscriber
I just had it in wireframe mode for a better example, so ppl could see how I'd gone about making the walls

# 4 28-11-2007 , 04:55 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Well, the "S" is a "Soft modification tool" marker. Simply select the mesh and go to:>> Edit>> Delete by type>> History.

To align two face plushly, simply go to:>> Modify>> Snap together tool. Then click on the first face (the face you want to align with another) and then click on the face you wish to have the first face align with. You should then see a blue arrow showing the path in which the Mesh will travel, now simply hit enter, and the first wall will snap against the second.

Hope this helps. user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 28-11-2007 at 04:57 PM.
# 5 28-11-2007 , 07:04 PM
To group all the polygones select them all then go mesh>combine and they will all be one object to move and extrude.

# 6 29-11-2007 , 01:31 AM
Subscriber
Cheers ppl much love user added image