Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 20-04-2010 , 02:46 AM
Subscriber

Apache Helicopter Tut

Hello SM-Community first post from me. user added image

A few Days ago i started with the Apache Tut. It´s a nice Tut and i learned a lot. But not finished yet. This is what i get so far after Part 15.

Unsmoothed:

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-04-2010 , 02:47 AM
Subscriber
And the Smoothed Version:

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 20-04-2010 , 02:50 AM
Subscriber
I know there are some pinches in the model. Will delete this at the end of the modeling-process. When the modeling is finished i will redesign some Parts with Ref-Photos i found.

Crits and all other stuff are welcome.

Greetz

# 4 20-04-2010 , 06:44 AM
Lifetime Member
lookin cool mate!!! looks nice, how did the wiring go??? I notice the cockpit frame looks good, I had trouble with the Spitfire one, what method did the tut use, extrusion?

Wait til you texture it, aaarrrrrrrrggggg, hope it isnt too hard!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 21-04-2010 , 04:45 AM
Subscriber
Update Time

Made some new Parts like the complete Landing Gear, Doors and some other small Parts.

Thx for the Comment Bullet. Yes the Cockpit is an Extrusion. First from start to the end and then some Cuts to have some Verts for moving to give it the right look.

The Texturing will take some Time. The Apache has many Objects. To layout all the UV´s will be a Nightmare.

Here are some Shoots from my Update. This time i have the Unsmoothed with Wires. Tell me what is better. With Wires or without.

Greetz

Unsmoothed

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 21-04-2010 , 04:46 AM
Subscriber
Smoothed:

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 21-04-2010 , 05:05 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi mate,

smoothed without wires is good for the visual, I try and provide most of my pics smoothed without wire then put one or two in with wireframe on (unsmoothed,blue, not so bright then). That way the Masters here at SM can get a good feel for the project and give better guidance.

Im a real novice and Im at UV stage on the Spitfire, that has/is/will be a bloody task. the Spitty has very few parts unlike the Apache so I dont envy you but I sympathise!!!!

I tried a few methods for the cockpit frame on the Spitty, CV and EP tools on live surface (or created a plane and used that) and ended up with a combo of that and extrusion. I found extrusion difficult and cumbersome at times for that kind of shape.

I have used the CV tool on live fuselage for my Lancaster and now have that down easy, I quite like it. The only trouble I have had is when you birail it can lead to isoparms going in all directions. I have overcome this somewhat by turning on the previous profile (display CV's) and trying to match up the CV's on another profile so they are co linear.

At least you can delete half the model to do the UV mapping eh??? Imagine doing it all!!!! I have found also the WAY you model and how much you alter it in model mode makes a difference in mapping. Next model I do I will be also thinking how I will map it, if I can simplify the wires, I will.

Looking good though mate, cant wait to see the textures applied. Go for a good 'dirty' look mate. I have said this in nearly every thread I have posted, DONT make it look clean like anew car. Some people like it like that, I beleive machines (military) or space craft SHOULD look lived in/used/abused and not had a bath for 6 months. Dust, dirt, grease etc give it much more of a realistic look, and just looks damn well better IMO.

Good luck my friend!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 21-04-2010 at 05:08 AM.
# 8 21-04-2010 , 05:07 AM
Lifetime Member
P.S do the mid stabilser's have elevators on the real deal??? (aerilons)

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 21-04-2010 at 05:16 AM.
# 9 21-04-2010 , 05:18 AM
Lifetime Member
I have had a quick look mate, I couldnt see too well (over 40, over the hill). I have whacked in a few suggestions/questions, again I am a NOVICE so my crits dont necessarily count. Just my opinion.

hope it helps

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 10 21-04-2010 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
Hey Bullet

i need the wires bunches. They are the inside of the Cockpit. Don´t know why there are visible. Made 2 new Screens to see it better.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 21-04-2010 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
And from the inside:

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 21-04-2010 , 04:47 PM
Subscriber
I don´t make a boolean there. The Wing is an another Object and i don´t plan to Combine it with another Object. When i Combine all the little extra Objects with the Main Object i become Problems with the UV-ing later. It´s easier to have more simple Objects then one big Object with a complex mesh.

And I need the Edge to sharpen the intake on the Top. Think the next screen will speak for itself. The marked Edge is the Edge you mean.

Attached Images
# 13 21-04-2010 , 10:16 PM
Lifetime Member
Ah I see. Yeh I thought it may have been visible lines but I wasnt sure, mine does that too sometimes, must be a vid card glitch. ATM when I do a smooth preview it sometimes 'locks' and I have the sub-d still visible even after I have converted back to poly, drives you crazy!!

Looking good though man.

bullet1968

# 14 22-04-2010 , 12:04 AM
Subscriber
Hmm did you try it with the Smooth Proxy?

I have 2 Layers. One with the mesh i am working on and another with all the Smoothed Proxy. With this method it is possible to work on your normal mesh and see the progress on the smoothed Proxy Version.

# 15 22-04-2010 , 12:45 AM
Lifetime Member
Never used proxy mate, have been looking at it but a lot of the people I talk to dont like or use it.

I have Maya 8 (oldy) and dont have smooth preview (its there but doesnt work on my version). I basically have to 'Alt ~' to get the quick preview and either convert back to poly or CTRL z.

Lately it has previewed ok BUT when I look at it, some components get 'stuck' in sub-d. I end up with 2 meshes (one usually wireframe- the sub-d). I cant delete it as it deletes the poly mesh too. They are connected somehow, I think its just my vid card (Nvidia 9600M GT).

I have had nothing but trouble with it, my games dont play properly either (high end ones, in particular GRAW2). Im a Bigpond Gamearena member and spent MANY many hours posting etc to find Nvidia has inherent problems.

One of the many quirks I face with software, Im used to it, my Surveying software is the same.

cheers bullet

bullet1968