Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-11-2009 , 10:41 PM
EduSciVis-er

Bake soft body as geometry

Hey, got a dynamics for modelling question.
I wanted to use a soft body to quickly model a rock.
I created a sphere, made it a soft body, applied a turbulence to the resulting particles, and hit play...
Great! It gives me a nice jaggy looking rock after playing with the attenuation etc a bit.

Now, I'd like to bake that object so I can use it as regular geometry, but I'm a bit stuck with that. I tried edit > keys > bake simulation, and that gave me keys, but they didn't seem to work (scrubbing messed up the sim). Anyone have a series of steps that could work with this?

Thanks so much!

# 2 07-11-2009 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber
Could use a lattice to shape the rock instead?

Chris

# 3 07-11-2009 , 11:15 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks for the reply. I could try a lattice, but I'd still have to scuplt it myself, and probably wouldn't give me the jagginess I'm looking for.

# 4 12-11-2009 , 02:40 PM
Technical Director
Export it as an obj file, as obj only contains geometry and uv information. This will bake the geometry to the current frame.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 12-11-2009 , 05:37 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks for the idea NextDesign... I'll give that a try.
Another method I ended up trying and using was to select all faces of a sphere and extrude them out, then up the randomness in the inputs. The result is similar to a turbulence.