Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-02-2005 , 12:37 AM

Please Help!! Building a spaceship- curve problems

I have this book " Maya 6 the Complete Reference" and I was doing the spaceship tutorial. I got to this one part and I was confused, it says to project the curve on the spaceship and make the window out of it with the boundry tool. IT's not specific enough so I don't really know how to do it. It tells me you have to make like 4 edges and then use the boundry tool, but I don't get how.

I attached the file so you can take a look at what I have. It's the curve on the fuselage in the front. thanx

Help appreciated.

Attached Files
File Type: mb spaceship .mb (76.4 KB, 179 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
--Albert Einstein
# 2 20-02-2005 , 04:45 PM
Subscriber
The boundary tool uses 3 or more intersecting curves to build a surface. It looks like you're projecting a single curve. Change it 3 separate curves then project all three onto the surface. Switch to edit point mode, select a point on the "C" shaped curve then select edit curves-->detach curves. Repeat on another ep to create the 3 separate lines.

To get 4th boundary, use the edge isoparm of the ship.

Hope that does it...

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 20-02-2005 , 08:28 PM
I did that, now i have 4 curves but when I do the boundary it makes a really weird shape sticking out of the ship. Looks like a plane twisted and sticking out of the front of the ship. user added image

here's a screenshot of what I'm getting.

user added image

--Albert Einstein

Last edited by stickdude; 20-02-2005 at 08:40 PM.
# 4 20-02-2005 , 10:57 PM
hey, have you tried the "reverse curve direction" tool? sometimes it really helps when you obtain weird lofted or birailed surfaces.

# 5 22-02-2005 , 09:07 PM

Originally posted by edoplaza
hey, have you tried the "reverse curve direction" tool? sometimes it really helps when you obtain weird lofted or birailed surfaces.

it's not lofted or birailed, it's boundry.

Now i can't cut or intersect curves for some reason... It says it can't find intersection for some reason but the curves are obviously intersected. user added image

--Albert Einstein
# 6 22-02-2005 , 09:17 PM
The Maya Mountain
1) Make sure that the curves all connect at the ends.
2) Make sure that the curves that face each other have the same number of spans.
3) Make sure you select them one at a time in clockwise, or counterclockwise order.

Check out my text tutorial Sharkman at my site. Lots of info regarding nurbs, birail and boundary there.

# 7 22-02-2005 , 10:28 PM
thanks a lot, hope it helps, i'll give it a try and post how it went! user added image

--Albert Einstein
# 8 27-02-2005 , 01:53 AM
hey, i did the sharkman tutorail, that DID IT... thanks a lot. The thing i was missing, was that I did not snap the CV's of the curves to one another. thanks a lot

--Albert Einstein